Tuesday, November 16, 2010

ABOUT SUBBING . . .

I subbed last night for one of the instructors at my studio who teaches a very energetic vinyasa (or flow) class.  I was his final choice, because I don't teach this way -- oh, I can make people work hard and I can make them sweat, but it's not by moving fast -- it's by deliberate movement.

As we began, I asked the group of experienced yogins (all women) what they might like to work on. Only one spoke up, "I want to work hard". With that in mind, we began.  Not necessarily an Anusara-Inspired™ class, but one that included much of the alignment and integration of just such a class (it's hard to not teach what you've been teaching).

Warmed up, then a few sun salutations. I had an idea, at that point, what I had on my hands -- students who come to class, move through many of the same movements, and are conditioned that - for example - once you go to plank, the next move is to the floor, then cobra and back to down dog. And, they're not wrong -- it's just that they weren't waiting for my instruction, it was all happening as if by automatic pilot.

In that same plank, I noticed sagging hips and rounding backs in several.  As a balance to that, I threw in some Anusara® lingo -- "hug energy from your feet, up your legs, to the focal point in your pelvis and feel your hips rise with that action; keeping that, move energy from hands to the heart; now look slightly forward, extend your heart towards the front of the room, and begin your journey to the floor".  By the time I said "hug energy", several were already on the floor moving into cobra. I let that be for now. But, from down dog, I asked everyone to lower their knees and sit back. Time to listen to why I offered the instructions of hugging energy.  So, back to plank, let's do it again -- in unison.  Many offered that they felt stronger in their chaturanga dandasana, as a result of this 'hugging'.

From there, they were with me - listening and doing (for the most part). Old habits die hard. It was fun, tho; and, I hope they learned one or two things from slowing down and focusing on the pieces and parts of the poses.

Subbing is always a learning experience; for me and for the students. Always, beginner mind.

In the earlier part of the day, I did get the car serviced, I did do some laundry, I did have a painter in the house again - so moving around with paint cans, tarps, etc., was challenging.

Today?
  • Wayne's Anusara 1 Class, 9:30 am, at The Yoga Center
  • Noon pilates with Cindy
  • Mid-afternoon - my less-than-flexible couple return from 2 weeks away and resume their semi-private sessions with me
  • Debating about the rest of the day -- I'll leave that open for now
Enjoy your Tuesday, 

No comments: