Sunday, November 7, 2010

SO MUCH FOR PLANNING

It seems that more-often-than-not I plan a class, only to have something throw it 'out the window'. Such was the case yesterday.

All ready to teach about making space -- a theme I used about one year ago; same story - cleaning out the debris in my garden, making space for new growth in the Spring. True story and happening again this weekend. I do this all the time in my yoga practice -- make space; space for new poses, new elements (clasping - on both sides - for example), new attitudes, new knowledge. So, that was the plan; the apex pose was going to be EPR (pidgeon, using a strap - or hands, if possible).  At least two times through, because the second time around is always easier, always.

Well, first student to arrive immediately began to tell me about her sore shoulder (EPR and a sore shoulder? It can be done, but just wasn't sure that it was the best call for this student.) So, I shifted to a balance sequence; still holding inner spiral as my alignment focus; still making space. Then moving into the space with confidence.

I love a recent personal revelation that, when I scoop my tailbone there is a rising that happens through the torso. I've probably experienced it thousands of times before, but it just became glaringly apparent in the past two weeks. As I sit here writing this, I'm inner spiraling my thighs, then scooping the tailbone -- what happens, well, for lack of a better description - it's kind of like a whip.  Scoop the tailbone, feel the lumbar spine move back ever so slightly, but that movement becomes more evident as I pay attention to the thoracic region of the spine.  Wow -- 6 am and I'm already sounding pretty 'nerdy'.

Back to the point of the blog - preparation for the injury or new-to-yoga student or whoever arrives in class that throws the well-planned theme/apex/focus out the window.  My point? I need to be ready for anything.  Simple; just be prepared and willing to change things up a bit, depending on class make-up.

So, today?
  • Yardwork -- making space
  • Practice
  • Laundry
Have a nice Sunday,

No comments: