Wednesday, November 10, 2010

TUESDAY MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

When I type my schedule for the day in these posts, I try to be realistic; what can I really get done or not in a day. I want to honestly be able to say "I did it all!" the next morning. This may go back to my relationship with the word 'commitment'.

I'm not sure when (or why) it started, but when my son began participating in team (or individual) sports, my husband and I began to focus on the word 'commitment'.  It's very easy, as a parent, to move with the whim of the child, from activity to activity, with little thought to what their talent might be and where 'staying power' ought to be applied.

Derek (our son) participated in two main activities from age 4-12 - soccer and swimming. When we moved to So. Cal., swimming had evolved simply into something he enjoyed doing, wasn't interested in participating in competitively, and he was ready to let it go as a regimented activity. He tried baseball. He continued soccer. Then, as he approached high school, I began to hear -- 'I think I'll quit soccer and just surf and skateboard'. "No", I responded -- "you have a talent for soccer, it puts you in with a group of guys different from the surfers and skateboarders, and we've invested a lot of time and effort in the sport -- let's keep it".  I didn't say he couldn't try the other things, but I did stand firm that he had to continue the soccer.

Come to find out, the thought about quitting was a reaction to upcoming tryouts. Once on the team, he continued to play well and with dedication. He also surfed and skateboarded, and continued a little baseball. As he matured, soccer remained a staple in his life until the first year of college - a rough one, with little physical activity but lots of partying. He came home after that year, and we suggested he stay home the next year, go back into soccer, attend an area school. He did, the scouts were watching, and long-story-short - soccer ended up paying for and being the catalyst for his completing his college education.

Commitment was key in all these decisions - his and ours (as his parents). Whether he played or sat on the bench, he stayed committed to his teammates and his teams. That value has served him in the workplace setting as well (a story for another post). And, at age 36, he still plays soccer on a men's team that includes some friends from college.

Now, why did I even start on this in my blog post today -- oh, it was about writing my schedule down, then sticking with it. When I write it, I feel a commitment to do it -- funny thing, we're back to the 'c' word.  So, as I wrote yesterday that I was going to do two yoga classes, one pilates class, shovel snow, and whatever else, I thought it was ambitious; almost didn't write it.  But, I did. And, because I did, I did it -- I did it all, even the shoveling snow part (which wasn't so bad). And, if you read the post, you also know that I cleaned my oven (it's about time!), and replaced a wearing-out toilet seat. I also subbed a class for an instructor who was a bit under the weather!

I love productive days!  (And, I think I have a theme for the day/week.)  Watch out, here comes Leslie with her favorite 'c' word!

Today's happenings:

  • Walk dogs (brrrrrrr!!! It's cold outside, but they aren't letting me forget they want a WALK!)
  • Gentle Yoga at 10 am at The Yoga Center
  • My own private with Adam
  • Carpet cleaning guy at my house to do some touch-up
  • IF the weather holds (as in no new snow), I'll drive up for Tiffany's 5:30 class at The Shop
  • Whatever else (laundry, errands, car wash -- like I said, whatever)
Hope your day is a good one,

1 comment:

Yoga said...

Really it is a great blog. Lot of useful information. thanks to the great share.