Thursday, November 11, 2010

ONCE AGAIN

Yes, once again I am hearing it.  'You are strong and stable enough, now soften.' I teach it, I think I'm practicing it, but - in a private yesterday - I am hearing it again.

And, when I let myself soften I see that I am much more flexible that I give myself credit for.  Where does it come from?  That focal point revelation I mentioned a couple posts back.  Example:  In a standing pose like trichonasana (triangle), I am able to feel the hugging in to the pelvic focal point - rooting back down through the legs - and the associated rise that happens as a result of the rooting, out of the pelvis.  That rise offers the freedom to expand in the pose.  Not a 'floppy' freedom, but freedom, nevertheless.

Where did I first hear it?  In Austin, at a retreat with JF, about 5 years ago. He really hammered it to the group, and - I think I remember - a personal entreaty (def. earnest request) directed at me. Otherwise, I might not be remembering it quite so clearly.

Then, when did I hear it again? At the recent JF Immersion in Park City. Practicing next to Sundari, in padangusthasana (a dvesha pose for me, but getting easier). I'm struggling (as usual), and I hear a whisper voice "root down, rise up" -- Sundari, of course. What happened? For me, the pose grew as much as I can grow it these days. A very effective whisper.

In the interim, I've begun to 'feel' it as I practice -- the effect of the stable foundation, rooting down. And then, the successive rise.

Now, third time's a charm -- from Adam, yesterday. His question of me "do you feel strong and stable in your poses?" Answer, "yes". Then his response "you are strong and stable, now let's work on some freedom -- root down and extend out".

So, that's what we worked on.  Establishing the foundation, then allowing the extension to happen from the focal point. Good stuff.

I am continually amazed by the wealth of knowledge that the more experienced instructors have. As I sat listening, I wondered 'will I ever get to that point'. Well, yes, it's just that I'm getting a later start on the learning process, right? right!

For any readers who do not practice yoga (or Anusara® yoga), in Anusara® we work with 3 possible focal points -- the pelvis, the heart, and/or the upper palate. In every pose, there is one of these active depending on it's proximity to the foundation.  For example, in standing poses, the pelvis is the focal point; in a pose like headstand, the upper palate is the focal point; in a pose like urdhva dhanurasana (wheel backbend), the heart is usually the focal point (note that it can shift to the pelvis, depending on the practitioner's range of motion in this pose).  So, when you're standing in the grocery line, pull energy up your legs from your feet to your pelvis (lift your toes, you'll feel the muscles in your legs begin to fire) - imagine a small orb in your pelvis collecting energy - send the energy back down your legs - now send energy from the 'orb' up to your head.  I'll bet you feel something.  If not, and you're curious -- try a yoga class (preferably Anusara®).

About yesterday -- almost all got accomplished; except for Tiffany's class. The drive up Parley's canyon when it's snowing, even just a little, is intimidating.  I know how I drive; I'm not so sure about others on the road. Lately, there have been a couple accidents where very experienced snow drivers have become the victims of the inattentive or not-so-skilled. So, I'm leery. Next week, maybe. Supposed to warm up this weekend.

Today?
  • Housework / laundry in the a.m.
  • Run some errands
  • Pilates at 1 pm
  • Yoga Hour at 4 pm at The Yoga Center (I'm teaching)
Hope your Thursday is a good one,

No comments: