Saturday, November 27, 2010

WHEN TEACHING A CLASS, . . .

Yesterday, I posted some guidelines taken from a 2009 training with John Friend that I attended in Tucson. As I re-read the post this morning, I decided that deciphering each one for today and the next 6 days, would be good blog 'topic' material.

It will also be challenging for me to do -- to really think about what he said, explain what it means to me and my teaching, and hope to offer some valuable insights to you (especially, if the one I'm working on is one you've been trying to work on, as well).

As Christina says (there, I'm back to Christina), teaching Anusara® yoga is something like juggling. There are a lot of balls (or tasks) involved -- each important and each needs to stay in the air; to be present in our teaching. These are just 7 more. Add these to the UPA's, the loops, the theme, heart quality, apex pose, individual student dispositions and physical conditions, my energy, (there's one or more I'm forgetting), and - VOILA! - you have an Anusara® or Anusara-Inspired™ yoga class.

Now, as to "When teaching a class, feel the overall energy but don't overlook those with special limitations.", here goes.

What does this mean to me? That I must be prepared for whoever decides to attend my Level 1 or Gentle Yoga classes. That, when teaching, I not only am going to offer a good class for the student familiar with yoga and my teaching, but also a valuable experience to the person who is new or who has a physical limitation.

What does that mean -- modifications where needed. Or not. But, if not, I must be prepared to offer well thought-out instructions on how to do what I'm asking. Nothing worse than being asked to move to vrksasana and have not a clue what it is you are being asked to do.

If you read back a few posts, you'll find just such a situation -- students in a class, excited to have accomplished a new pose, and then sharing with me that many times, rather than teach them poses, teachers will take the easier route and offer them alternative, manageable poses. Their view of why this happens? Instructors 'assume' they are not capable of doing something (or at least a modification), so rather than teach it, they punt. I suppose when you have 40 students in the room, that happens; but, with less than 10 in the room, there is no excuse for not breaking the pose down for everyone (that's my personal opinion).

And, Leslie, how do you propose we do that? Well, often times, I ask everyone to do the 'breaking down' version first. Everyone does the modification, if I know there is someone in the room who will be challenged by the pose. As we start the pose, I assure students that there will be a second go-round, and that once we move through it the modified way, we will go to the next stage (or fuller expression). Then, when it's time for the fuller expression, I ask everyone to reflect on the first go-round, then decide how much further they take the pose.

By stepping back a bit, the more familiar students may learn something that had escaped them before. And, they still get to do the fuller expression, with their bodies a bit more warmed up.

For me, the challenge is not 'including' everyone; the challenge is challenging everyone - working with that overall energy. I will tend to teach more precisely, more slowly (there, I've said it), and my work will be to 'kick it up a notch'. To balance precision with liveliness and fire. That's my challenge.

Today?
  • More R&R
  • Yoga
Have a nice Saturday,

No comments: