Sunday, November 28, 2010

ACKNOWLEDGE EVERYONE, EVEN . . .

In keeping with my plan, the next suggestion from JF regarding teaching goes like this:
"Acknowledge everyone, even the most capable (you may tend to overlook these people because you don't think they need your help)."
As I teach, I notice that this does happen -- I do work more with the person who is less experienced - and, in some cases, I don't acknowledge the rest of the class. I saw living proof the day I reviewed a video: Two new students in the room; the others have been coming to my class for quite a while. My attention was riveted on the two new ones. Oh, I moved around the room, but always went right back to those two to offer verbal or physical adjustments; leaving the rest to fend for themselves. After all, they (the rest) knew what to do. However, in looking at the video, a couple of the rest would have benefited from my attention. Mantra for Leslie: 'serve everyone'.
Assuming people know what to do may be correct and they may not even need to be adjusted or corrected, but everyone wants to be acknowledged.
Even I, as I participate in a class, enjoy the occasional correction or comment of welcome or approval (even if it's whispered). Don't need to shout it to the room, just the act of letting me know they know I'm there is good enough.
Now, JF, is another matter. If I move through a practice with him, without comment, I've learned that's almost acknowledgment enough - sort of like, I did everything o.k. -- whew! Or, if he walks by and places a hand lightly on my shoulder -- that's even better. With 100+ people in the room, it's hard to work with that many and let everyone know they are being noticed. So, my expectations of being acknowledged change.
Going back to my teaching -- put another teacher in one of my classes, and I will probably move right past that person, as well. After all -- don't want to offend a fellow instructor by adjusting or suggesting they change something about their practice. Wrong! So, I continue to work on that one.
And I don't have to directly compliment everyone in the room. There are other ways to acknowledge the more acomplished practitioner without being overly complimentary or doting. I'll try to list some:
  • As the class proceeds, use the more adept practitioner for demo'ing
  • Once, I was introduced at the beginning of a class I was visiting in another city. Now, that really made my day -- to be introduced by a Certified instructor as another Anusara Teacher gave me a boost and affected my work throughout that class (and for a long time after).
  • Comment on a modification used by the more experienced. In the class yesterday, the instructor commented something like this "now, Terry is very experienced and flexible, yet notice she's using blocks to fully experience this pose". A compliment built in to a suggestion we all give the blocks a try.
  • Or, if the class is large, a simple pat on the back and a whispered 'welcome', will do the trick. Then, as class continues, smile - make eye contact - thumbs up - whatever.
I don't need to do much to let people know I know they're there and they're doing good work. It is easy, tho, as I mentioned above, to focus only on the newer or new-to-me student.
Ahhh, another ball to juggle.
So, today? It's a weekend off - more R&R; maybe a walk with the dogs.
Have a great Sunday,

No comments: