Saturday, November 20, 2010

WINDY DAY IN SLC

Ooooh boy, the wind she is a blowing up here on our hill. Forecast is for winter-like conditions - rain, snow, even turning towards "blizzard" conditions later in the day. Fun, fun, fun. At least if you're sitting inside by a nice fire.

It makes me wonder who will venture out for yoga today.  Fortunately, my class is early - before the truly nasty weather hits. But, right now, the wind is howling through our trees. Less than inviting to go outside! It is surprising that more people venture to yoga on a day like today, than on the nicer days.

Nicer days offer opportunities for more outdoor activities here -- good skiing (This activity, for me, is no fun in the wind especially if the resort decides to close the lifts for safety's sake. Speaking of safety, avalanche danger is also expected to rise with this storm - back country dudes and dudettes, be safe!), decent hiking and biking (Yes, even when it's snowy in the mountains, you can bike or hike at lower elevations - one of the beauties of living in Salt Lake. You just need the appropriate clothing.)  So there are many who, left without these activities to fill their time, will come to yoga on a blustery day like today.  Always interesting to see what the day brings.

I read MariaCristina's blog this morning and loved it. Why? What's so special about 'surrender'? It's TRUE. I see it happen each time I want to push up to urdhva dhanurasana. If I stress, put too much pressure on myself, it might not happen (tho I am getting better at the pose). So, part of my pose preparation is to simply lie on my back, breathe deeply, and soften into the floor. Then, I set hands, lift hips and move to the top of my head. 99% of the time these days, the journey up into the full pose happens! Many things factor in, but 'surrender' (that brief moment spent breathing and softening) is one of the most important. In this pose, I might also call this my 'open to grace' moment -- the moment when I recognize and accept that I am not the only driving force in my life.

Need another example? In a training a couple years ago, asked to to urdhva (JF had us all turn so our heads faced the row behind - or in front of - us. Why? So we could smile at each other as we move up to the pose.). My 'smiling partner' was Sierra, who had been talking to me prior to the practice about my urdhva - or lack of. In the first attempt, I came about 4 inches away from the floor. Quiet little Sierra (ha ha) let out a cheer and a giggle, heard by all. Result? JF comes over and asks to see it. See what? Me, doing urdhva - which at that time was most of the time inaccessible for me. I softened, I know I said a prayer, I placed my hands, I know I didn't rush. What happened, already? I pushed up! And, pushed up in front of about 100 other people and JF!  I KNOW it happened because I opened to something bigger than me, I surrendered, and it happened.

There are times I just try too hard and the results are not what I want. I never discount 'surrender'. Such a powerful tool.

Well, this is turning into a ramble. But, there's a theme here; one I'll cultivate in my 9 am class! I've already written the story - the apex pose is here - the UPA of Open to Grace - the heart quality 'yielding' (or getting out of our way, which isn't a great way to say it but this phrase conveys the attitude we'll use) - the sequence to be worked on next, but not in this post.

So, what happens today?
  • 7:30 am - teaching a private session
  • 9:00 am - teaching 9 am Level 1 class
  • Data entry, gotta do it; can't put it off any longer
  • 4:00 pm - a yoga birthday party, what fun!
Hope Saturday is a good one for you,

No comments: