Sunday, December 5, 2010

ABOUT SMALL CLASSES

Over the years, I've heard teachers lament the small classes we sometimes wind up teaching as in, 'what's wrong with what I'm offering; why aren't my classes larger; am I wasting my time'. Once they're done, we agree that we ought to view a primary purpose of teaching yoga as simply giving our best to whoever happens to be in the room -- be it 4 students or 40.

Yesterday morning, I taught just such a class -- small (but mighty). As I planned the class (at 4am, no less), I remembered Adam's words: 'kick it up a notch'.

Before I proceed, I'll elaborate on that. I worry that people walk into my class, see me, and form an opinion -- something like, "she's a bit older, I wonder what this class will be like, slow - maybe". Then, I fear, I meet their low expectation. I know I'm a good teacher; I know I can teach up to what some would like. I also know I get lost in the details; back to that 'too much information'. I love the fine tuning, and many students don't want to be fine-tuned. They just want to move. That's not a negative - it's a fact, and I need to find the balance between moving and fine tuning. A balance that will make us all happy.
My goal in planning yesterday was to teach a good class, yet 'kick it up a notch'. And, I did it -- to the surprise of the students in the room -- one heard to comment: "that was a work-out!" (I was secretly smiling as I heard that).
That comment led to further discussion with the rest of the group about the benefits of a smaller class -- one commenting that she had been practicing (at another location) for a couple years, and - perhaps because classes are large - she had never been asked to do some of the fine tuning I asked for. (Go back to my photo story of a couple blog posts ago -- proof positive.)
Why write about this? There is much to be learned from small classes -- I learn more about my students - their personalities, their physical abilities (or limitations), I learn about my comfort level with fewer than 5 in the room, I am asked to teach more precisely - no glossing over because there are just too many people in the room to serve everyone (I might even be asked a question for which I don't know or have the answer -- that's a bit embarrassing, but - as JF advises - I will admit 'I don't know, but I'll find out' -- then I follow through.).
"Small classes are a blessing, a place to learn" == my quote? No, one from a 2007 therapeutics training with JF in Santa Fe. My case, exactly! And, in going back through notes looking for that quote, I saw tons of information that I knew, but I hadn't thought of for a while. A case for reviewing notes once in a while!
My thoughts are running rampant this morning -- must be a bit of excitement over the transition this weekend holds. I have loved owning a studio. It has offered me a forum for teaching and developing my own skills, without having to worry about 'where will I teach'. It has honed my skills and my sensitivity to students' needs and desires. It has not, however, given me the key to scheduling -- that remains a mystery. As in, what class will work best at what time? That, I think, is where the right instructor can make or break it. But, I won't have to worry too much about that now -- I just will keep 'kicking it up a notch', while fine tuning -- the balance, remember?
My day?
  • Sheldon's class at 8am at The Yoga Center
  • Instructor meeting at 6 pm at The Yoga Center
  • Inbetween? We'll see.
Hope you have a nice and relaxing Sunday,

No comments: