Sunday, December 12, 2010

AND, HOW'D IT GO?

Not bad, not bad at all. Each time I think about it (the 3 hours), I marvel that I could fill the time. I'd worried that 90 or 120 minutes in, I would be done -- through with the plan -- and, now what do we do? Didn't happen. Filled the time, I had fun, and I am hopeful students did, as well.

As we started, my nervousness was gone (in fact, I didn't struggle with much nervousness all day, yesterday). There probably was some 'underground' stuff going on, since - as I looked down at my notes - I noticed I had 2 pair of reading glasses ready. Usually, I forget them altogether!
I had typed out my thoughts, and my plan, and some words. This is what I would do for any class I teach. It's helpful, though I rarely follow it verbatim. Fact is, I don't look at it all that much while teaching. The process of thinking it through, typing it out, revising it, then printing and reviewing it - all that usually does the trick.
Why words? I want alternative words to use, for example - this workshop was called 'embrace yourself'. I'd like a list of words to use besides 'embrace'; words that mean the same or similar, but I would not want to say embrace over and over during a class. Then, I create another list of words that mean the opposite (i.e. 'release' or 'let go').
And, why this second list? Because it is helpful to be able to give people instructions using the opposite or other side of your theme. For example: I can say "hug muscles to bone as you move into trichonasana" (kind of boring), or I could say "Trichonasana needs full support; release muscle energy from the legs and you deplete your power source, so hold steady - feed the pose with the energy of the legs." (better). And, I used the opposite of 'hug' or 'hold' when I used the word 'release'. Like that.
Now what? Well today's schedule is:
  • Yoga with Sheldon, 8 am at the Yoga Center
  • Trip to the airport
  • Wrap some gifts for mailing
Hope you have a peaceful Sunday,

No comments: