Wednesday, December 1, 2010

GIVE YOUR STUDENTS ...

"Give your students time to breathe in a pose. Quiet is not a bad thing."
#4 in my notes from the JF Intensive, 2009 in Tucson.
Students might not agree -- especially if it's a challenging pose, or one they do not enjoy. Being asked to stay in a pose while the instructor walks the room, or simply stands looking at general forms and foundations, is many times challenging in its own right.
I remember the first time, tho, that I was able to notice taking two calm breaths while in Trichonasana. Amazing, I thought. Here I am, in this - for me - challenging pose, and I am breathing; calmly breathing. Had the instructor not given me that time to notice, to appreciate, I may still be wondering why we put ourselves in those situations / those poses. Now I know, that - for me - the act of holding the pose, then being able to breathe, is an act of creating beauty and awareness (chit ananda).
As much as quiet is a hard thing to receive; for me, it is a challenge to give. As an instructor, I remember wanting to fill every moment with dialogue. I thought that was my job, to talk, to tell them what the alignment principles were, how to get there, what benefits they might receive, how they could hurt themselves by rushing, little stories, etc., etc., etc. It's hard to offer silence. And, even now, when I do, sometimes I think "I should be talking", then I remember -- 'quiet is not a bad thing'.
So, it's a practice for me as well as for my students -- getting used to silence; being able to offer silence. Certainly not a 'bad' thing.
Dogs are staring me down, as I hurriedly write this. It's well past time for their walk (tho they have been outside). Habits! So, on with the snow pants, boots, parka, hat, gloves; grab bags (even in snow I am a good, responsible dog owner - I pick up after my pets); and get out there.
Today?
  • Gentle Yoga at 10 am at The Yoga Center
  • My own private with Adam (more handstand work)
  • Shop for one Christmas gift
Hope your Wednesday is a good one,

No comments: