Tuesday, November 30, 2010

WHERE DID I LEAVE OFF?

Took the day to relax (some more), shovel snow, walk dogs, read -- no blog writing. Here's a photo that made my day:

My son and his sons (Jack, Carson & Brady, l-r) wishing me a Happy Day. Everyone's still in pajamas or ready for school (Derek took the day off to help after a busy Thanksgiving weekend -- what a husband/father!), so it must have been early morning. And, from the looks of it, Jack is developing his own independent personality -- a little bit of rebellion / I'll do it 'my way' showing through.
Now, where did I leave off?
First, tho, a comment -- the word 'so' must be cast out of my vocabulary. I watched a video of a recent class last night. Not bad - I didn't really tell people 'why' enough - but, on the whole a decent class. The word 'so' was peppered throughout. I thought I had solved that == but, no, it's still there; my parrot word.
Now, I left off on John's suggestions at "Keep your teaching as more of a dialogue, rather than a monologue".
Based on the video I watched, I've got that one covered. I'm teaching, yet I did notice I paused and asked for feedback. I was also listening for and acknowledging comments and groans. In this class, the apex pose was revolved trichonasana - not the easiest of poses and one that demands a bit of precision and an approach that is more thoughtful. I chose to enter the pose from an unusual spot - prasarita padottonasana (now, that got some comment -- pro and con), walk hands to one side, turn feet, place hand on floor, open. The 'open' is where people get overzealous -- everyone wants to take that arm up right away. Rather, this pose (revolved trichonasana) benefits from a more measured approach -- we create the stance (foundation), we lengthen, we go back to the foundation, we then - with upper hand on the hip - begin to twist open. Once shoulders are stacked, upper directly above lower, then the hand-on-hip can open to the fuller expression. I realize it's hard for some people to wait, tho -- it just feels so much better if they do.
Place yourself in a class - dialogue vs. monologue? What's your preference? I like moments in class where the instructor pauses long enough to receive a question or feedback. There don't have to be a ton of them (moments), just a few.
I suppose I also must factor in body language. If I am giving a monologue, my arms may be crossed, or hands clasped behind my back, and I may be pacing back and forth. I doubt I am looking at what's going on in my student's poses. Why? I'm pretty involved in what I'm saying - I haven't left any space for dialogue, observation, adjustment, compliments.
The video I watched was the one where students totally blew me away with their poses. Each one, from the most practiced to the newer-to-yoga gave me every ounce of their effort. It won't be a video I turn in - I learned a few things from it, tho. It is a class that I will treasure.
Today's plan:
  • Wayne's Class
  • Pilates
  • Paperwork
Stay warm today, wherever you are. Here (SLC) it is COLD !!!

No comments: