Monday, January 17, 2011

2011 STUDIES

This post was begun on Monday; finished on Tuesday morning - - -

I believe I mentioned this earlier, in another post -- that January is the month I look at what's being offered, I reflect on what I've heard is coming up, and I begin to make some plans for the year. In the way of continuing education, we can only do so much while maintaining our commitment to our students and our personal lives, so it does take some planning. I used to just look for the 'fun' workshops or trainings. Now, knowing more about my teaching and my skills or lack-thereof, I look for what I believe I need to become a better, more well-rounded instructor.

On Facebook this month there have been many, many photos from Douglas Brooks' 2011 Pilgrimage to India. Familiar faces in front of temples, dressed in saris and whatever you call the men's clothing, buying jewelry, sitting on camels, henna 'tattoos', some photos even show the reality of India - its beauty and its other side.
All these photos remind me that in about two weeks, I'll begin study with Douglas -- my first formal, dedicated philosophy study. I've done the Immersions, which are dedicated primarily to philosophy -- but, broken up with asana. This will be pure philosophy. Nervous about that. Grasping the philosophy - which seems to come so easily to many - does not come easily to me. I read, re-read, then read again. Then, 3-6 months later, I may go back and read something again -- it may make more sense this time around, but no guarantees.
I've also signed up for Amy Ippoliti's on-line course on growing and cultivating classes. That, I need as well.
What else? Not sure. The Bliss Brothers will be in SLC the weekend of May 6-8 presenting a fun workshop. That about takes care of the first six months of 2011.
JF will be in Lake Tahoe this Summer for a gathering of Anusara-Inspired™ instructors. I am sure this would be valuable; tho somewhat of a logistical challenge. Logistics also factors in -- how easy is it to get to a venue (plane/train/auto)? how available is housing? what are transportation issues to and from housing to venue? will I need to rent a car? All these things are included in my decision-making process. If it is something I really need to do, I'll get there - by hook or crook (well, not crook - maybe a better phrase: where there's a will, there's a way). And, wouldn't it be nice to be Certified by then, and I could then change my goal to whatever Certified gathering is planned for 2011, if there is one.
I'm sure my planning is not over; I am hopeful more west coast events will be planned for JF. So, I'll keep my eye on his schedule. Would also LOVE to do something with Darren Rhodes (perhaps with Christina?). Need to explore that. After all, I still have late Summer and Fall/Winter to work on.
Now, today?
  • 9:15 am Teaching Level 1-2 at The Yoga Center
  • Noon, Pilates
  • 2:30 pm, Teaching private
Hope you have a nice Tuesday,

No comments: