Tuesday, January 25, 2011

GOING TO WRITE QUICKLY

We have been spending the past few days visiting with and helping take care of our 'Grand-Dudes', aka grandsons. Where does this come from? Well, I know BJ calls her Grandchildren, 'GrandDrops'; my 2-year-old called me 'dude' one morning as I changed him out of his pajamas. He was being funny, I remembered -- there you have it, the story of 'dude origination'. Since then, they have been my 'Grand-Dudes'; I suppose if I had a granddaughter, I would have to call her a 'Grand-Dudette' !!!!

And, why do you care? Well, it has been since Thursday that I've written in this blog -- maybe one or more of you is in serious withdrawal from my writing, or not. In any case, one of the longer periods I've gone without writing.

I went back to review what I wrote about way last week. I see that it was about filming the previous day's Gentle Yoga Class. Since that one was lacking in some areas, I decided to give it another go on Friday. Plenty of people in the room, more than enough to satisfy the filming requirements. And, I figured, it would be easier second time around. Also, the second aspect of Laksmi, Saubhagya Laksmi (could also be defined as the Laksmi of Discernment). Wisdom. In this class, due to the injuries and conditions present, wisdom about what our bodies will do or not do is valuable stuff. And stuff students must listen to, look at, and discern the value of.

For example, many students arrive in this class complaining of back pain. The fear of the pain, for some, is almost paralyzing. During the movement I request of them, it takes their own wisdom to determine whether and how far they are going to take a movement. I never ask for more than I think is possible; I also realize that, for some, we will start with small steps. Might not do that full, well-aligned, twist the first day; however, can we align, and - perhaps - move the legs off to one side, then the other, and explore a bit. Some have not moved for a while, so this fear may just be a fear of the unknown or the forgotten.

Enough on that.

Our weekend was nice. I spent it with 2 coaches from the Handel Group in Laguna Beach (no less), and 17 others. We talked life changes (mostly career), parental traits, and our own 'hauntings' (memories that have lived with us, perhaps all our lifetime) and how they relate back to our path in life. Interesting.

Monday was spent with 'Grand-Dudes'. 4-year-old, Jack, loves books and is in pre-school. As we talked in the morning, I mentioned the book "Dictionary", and it's uses. When his mother awoke, he was after her for the dictionary, which she couldn't find. Well, you can see where this day led -- a trip to B&N (Barnes & Noble), Children's Section, purchasing a children's dictionary. He is his father's son. Derek was always interested in facts, not stories, so books like this dictionary which tell a story about a word would have appealed to him. I knew that we would not leave without one or two more books (actually 5). Mission accomplished, we returned home to book reading, dinner, bed.

Today? Yet TBD. More grand-dude time, guaranteed.

Hope your Tuesday is great!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yesterday, my 7 year old son turned to my 8 year old daughter and said, "what's up dude?", "Dude-ESS!", she corrected him!
-thanks for the great writings!