Wednesday, January 5, 2011

MAKING SPACE

For whatever reason, blogging is not as easy as it was before December 5. I wonder if it's related to the sale of the studio. More discipline is needed, for whatever reason. So, to make it more easeful, this will just be a compilation of thoughts -- ramblings, if you choose -- from my week so far.
I used 'making space' as my theme for yesterday's class (the one I am subbing for a friend for a while - skiing injury). As I de-clutter my home (making space), it also seems to relate to our practice and any resolutions or intentions that we have set for 2011. We make space to cultivate our intentions, to give them room to root and grow - and, what better place to do that than on our yoga mat. I chose confidence as my heart quality (because it takes a bit of confidence to expand; and the results are often confidence - the calm feeling of accomplishment we experience when we've done something good for ourselves). My UPA emphasis: Inner Spiral (making space, after all). My apex pose (on paper): EPR using a strap.
Students in the room, we began. One commented that she has struggled with many injuries over the years -- pelvis, knee, back and neck. As we moved through the first surya's, she complained about the pressure on her knee during a modified vacisthasana. That caused me to change my plan from putting her knee into EPR - she is newer to the practice and the verbiage, so - instead of EPR with a strap, I asked students to prep for baby nataraj and then move more fully into the pose using a strap. (Bending her knee was not a problem; lateral movement and pressure was an issue. I'm hoping that as she progresses and due to her well-developed body awareness, the concepts of inner spiral, shins in, etc., will come easily to her, and doing EPR will not create issues for that knee. It just seemed that for this class, shifting gears was needed.) So, we shifted and we still had fun. Always good to have an 'exit strategy'.
It is great to teach in the newly-renovated Yoga Center (studio I just sold); just teach. Not worry about any of the details, just plan my class, teach it, talk to students, fill out the paperwork, lock the door. But, truth be told, I do worry about these things; it's still a part of me, tho easier to let go of that I thought it might be. Lyndsey and Sheldon are getting little bits of information from me on occasion, signed with a "take it or leave it" closing.
Anyway, back to teaching. As people get used to the new space and new class times, some classes will be smaller, others larger. O.K. by me -- just trying to get that elusive video in. I think today I'll video the Gentle Yoga class; just to see how it goes. Ought to be interesting.
I attended a class on Monday - Mary's Vinyasa 1. Great class. Great from more than one standpoint. First, I had a good time. Second, I often sub for Mary. Now - after taking her class - I understand some of the blank stares I get when her loyal students experience my teaching. We use different verbiage, we teach poses somewhat differently. The good thing? Mary is very focused on alignment; that, we have in common. Lesson learned? From now on, when asked to sub, if there is enough time before the subbing date, I'll attend that instructor's class. Not so that I will teach exactly like the person for whom I'm subbing, but so that I'll understand what/how students have been experiencing their yoga classes. Important and valuable teaching lesson for me.
Today?
  • Gentle Yoga, 10:30 am at The Yoga Center
  • Errands
Hope you have a great Wednesday,

No comments: