Monday, January 3, 2011

PROJECTS IN THE HOPPER

Once one sells her yoga studio, what does she do?

For one, I will continue teaching at that studio (3 classes each week, plus subbing for a few weeks for a friend who was hurt skiing).
That takes up about 6 hours each week (NOT including travel and planning time). What else?
Several weeks (months?) ago I proposed to my physician that her group host a patient education series. This series would last 4-6 weeks, would include aspects of yoga in each week, and would introduce attendees to pro-active means to improve their health -- means they might not otherwise look at (i.e. life coaches, physical trainers, dieticians, Ayurveda, etc.). I offered to organize this series, do all the legwork, but didn't hear anything back after her initial enthusiastic response. So, I waited - upon announcing my website, she contacted me and explained that the group is looking at space options and will be bringing in a new physician this Spring. All this activity has kept her busy; long story short -- she does want to pursue something for patients that includes yoga. Yes! Will keep you posted on progress -- an idea some of you may want to pursue with your physicians.
What else? I am in the process of contacting local Parkinson's Support Groups about their interest in a series of yoga classes. Why? I work with patients who struggle with chronic, debilitating diseases, and I see the positive effects of yoga on their outlook. Keep you posted on this one, also.
In addition to public classes, I am teaching private and semi-private sessions.
Every so often, I think -- maybe I should try to find another public class to teach. Could do that, but these special projects offer an aspect of teaching that I've begun to appreciate -- the benefit of yoga to people who might NEVER walk into a yoga class, much less a studio. Why wouldn't they? They believe they can't afford it. They don't know much, if anything, about yoga - so why would they pursue it? They may believe that yoga is far out of their physical reach. I can work to change many of those factors.
As you can tell, this is an ongoing saga; and it will shift each day, week, month. It's an exciting time, filled with rewarding challenge.
Today's plans:
  • Mary's class at the newly-renovated Yoga Center, 10 am
  • Pick up cats from vet (more $$$)
  • A trip to the airport
  • Another class? We'll see.
Enjoy your Monday,

No comments: