Friday, January 7, 2011

PLAN ACCOMPLISHED

Yesterday, I did all that was listed on my blog 'to do' list -- it was a good day, but full (unless I'm really trying to impress, I don't write down the mundane activities -- like housework or laundry). People repeatedly ask me if I have a lot of time on my hands now that I don't own the studio. It doesn't seem like it -- I had fine-tuned work at the studio down to the bare minimum (perhaps a sign I was ready to be done owning a studio); I wasn't spending hours each day marketing, planning, etc. The spare time I have now is just space between activities; space I used to fill with paperwork or cleaning at the studio, but now don't have to worry about.

Pilates was fun and work (huh?). And, I see similarities to my yoga practice when all of a sudden some move previously inaccessible or pretty clumsy is now accessible!?!?!?
Then, time to kill between Pilates and my 4 pm class (that will change in 10 days or so, when the 'less-than-flexible' couple return from their travels). Since there's not enough time to run home, I suppose the efficient person would have some reading material with them -- me? No - stopped in the grocery, got to the studio early intent on practicing a bit; didn't work out quite like I planned as students began arriving EARLY for the 4 pm class.
Continued with my theme of burning the smudge off our images of ourselves (maya). Good one as we begin 2011.
The long-awaited class with Tiffany Wood at The Yoga Center followed. Skillfully crafted, encouraging and, yet, asking for commitment (loved that part) from all of us present. Many of the students had practiced before; not sure if Anusara had been in everyone's repertoire, tho. Impressive that even the beginning students (a couple) were well taken care of, as the rest of us worked hard - in my book, long holds are always hard work, if done with intention and care. Good stuff; look forward to future classes.
Last night, as I practiced, my attention was drawn to the statue of Shiva dancing (Nataraj). This murti is different from the one previously in the studio (brass vs. wood), and one of the things I noticed was the snake -- from a distance, in this murti, the snake is very visible winding around the figure of Shiva.
I have heard in trainings and workshops that this snake represents the kundalini shakti present in all of us. Curious about the snake, I googled it, found a decent website that briefly yet clearly explained many of the elements. The snake, this site explains does represent kundalini, and also symbolizes the Hindu belief in reincarnation. The molting of snakeskin is symbolic of the human soul's transmigration of bodies from one life to another.
In the first Immersion with JF last February, he went on to talk about other components, mentioning:
  1. The drum, representing the tick-tock of life; sound reverberating out of silence.
  2. The fire held by Shiva represents that which transforms, and is at the same height as the hand holding the drum.
  3. The hand in abaya mudra is the hand of sustenance; creates the appearance of stability.
  4. Nigraha arm (the arm crossing over and pointing at Shiva's foot) represents concealment.
  5. Anugraha; the upraised foot, perhaps saying "don't worry, it's just a dance".
Other interesting things I learned from the website I found:
  • There is a small figure in Shiva's dreadlocks - the Goddess of the Ganges. Belief is that the Ganges originally flowed in Heaven. When it was needed on earth, Shiva broke the fall from Heaven to earth with his dreadlocks. So, the Goddess rests in his dreadlocks on her way to earth. I never had heard about that element of the murti.
  • The outer ring - fire - represents the Universe with all its suffering, pain and disillusionment. Just inside is another ring - representing the waters of the ocean. (Perhaps tempering the fire a bit??? -- my thought, as I don't remember ever hearing much if anything about the water.)
  • The crescent moon in Shiva's hair keeps Kama (the god of nightly love) alive. The waxing and waning of the moon represents the seasons, rejuvenating life.
Interesting to pick one element and explore it -- I learn so much. And, I know students are curious what murtis represent and why they are in our yoga space. Now, I'll feel more confident answering questions about the Nataraj.
Today?
  • Gentle Yoga, 10:30 am at The Yoga Center -- I'm teaching!
  • Maybe the elusive lemon store is open and I can cash in my gift card.
  • I will lead The Practice, 5:40 pm at The Yoga Center. Planning LONNNGGGG holds.
Enjoy your Friday,

2 comments:

Doc Savage said...

Share the web site and a photo of the Nataraj if you can. I'd love to read more. Have you got a copy of Manoj's Spiritual Art and Mythology of India Anedtodes and Symbolisms? More good stuff in there.

Leslie Salmon said...

www.lotussculpture.com/nataraj1.htm

I have Manoj's book - good one; there are so many, someone could write a really LONG one.