Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TUESDAY MORNING

As some (many) of you know, my morning routine goes like this --- up, turn coffee on, sit, pour that first cup, turn on computer, review e-mail and last night's Facebook musings, read some of my favorite blog posts, and - finally - turn to my own blog.

In this blog, I have written about the interesting flow of energy that occurs (i.e. I think of something, someone close to me is thinking similarly). I remember when I first started yoga, I was sure yoga instructors talked to each other and shared lesson plans for the week. At that time, I attended many classes each week and very often different instructors taught similar classes or, at least, poses. I have since learned that, no, we don't talk to one another, but there is an energy thing out there.
For example, read 3 blog posts this morning before beginning to write. Here is a breakdown and analysis of what each different (and from different parts of the U.S.) instructors had to say and how their comments relate to similar events/thoughts in my life:
  • MariaCristina - wrote about her intention to attend more classes with favorite and different instructors in 2011. Interesting that I had a conversation last night with a fellow teacher about just such an intention. My fellow teacher's lament - that only on a handful of occasions have other yoga instructors attended her class. I could say the same. Our mentors attend our classes on occasion, but our friends? Not in the room. I suppose that could be chalked up to the fact that many spend so much time teaching that a yoga studio is not the place they choose for their personal yoga practice. Or, something like that. Just an observation, not a judgment.
  • Denise Benitez - wrote in her Dec. 2 post that 'free yoga' is a fallacy. I began reading this post with a bit of trepidation, worrying that she might not support my similar belief and/or the story of how I believe, historically, people 'paid' for their yoga instruction. Fortunately, as I read, I breathed a sign of relief. She echoed my belief, and used similar examples to those I've used on my website, www.skillfulyoga.com, where I talk about my fees. The one I'd never heard - that sometimes students were asked to cut off a finger (fingertip?) for their lessons. Ouch! How many of you would do that to come to my class?
  • Scott Marmorstein - wrote in his Jan 4 post that "everything is borrowed". Last week I had an e-mail conversation with clients who have been traveling. Just checking in, I told them, letting them know I was ready for them to return - were they ready/willing? What I received were two very complimentary e-mails within which they said 'yes, we're ready'. I copied the phrases from their two e-mails, and created a short, concise e-mail to JF, Sundari, Adam Ballenger, and Christina Sell, acknowledging and thanking them for their contribution to this feedback. What does this have to do with Scott's post? Almost everything I have taught, shared, communicated to these clients is 'borrowed' from these very pivotal people in my studies. These 4 teachers need to hear these compliments, as much as I do. While I certainly put my own 'spin' on the teachings and how I transmit them, I would not have this 'borrowed' knowledge were it not for these teachers (and many others - too many to list here).
I learn a lot from reading other peoples' perspectives. Most importantly, I receive validation for many of my thoughts and actions. Very valuable for someone who has a tendency to fall short on the self-confidence scale. (Working on that!)
And, today:
  • Teaching Level 1-2 at The Yoga Center, 9:15 am
  • Pilates at 12 noon
  • Teaching a semi-private, 2:30 pm
  • A couple of errands to run
Have a great day!

No comments: