Sunday, January 30, 2011

WHAT'S HAPPENED?

I rarely forget appointments or schedules, especially those revolving around my yoga teaching. This week, tho, I managed to forget two things related to my teaching -- a private session and my turn to guide a practice. For each of those missteps, I apologize.

Not knowing who might have shown up to the practice, I apologize -- and, I'll continue to apologize when/if those people come forward. For the private client, I have apologized personally to that student. There was no good excuse for either incident of forgetfulness.
That doesn't mean I'm not sitting here trying to come up with a few (excuses). Human nature? Perhaps.
On my recent visit, I noticed my middle grandson, the 2-year-old, often says 'it's o.k.' right after he does something he realizes may not be o.k. It's cute and often he is forgiven; I did (in my stern grandmother way) point out to him that - on a couple occasions - it was 'not o.k.'; it made a mess, or it hurt someone, etc.
So, when my private client offered me an out -- 'it's o.k., things happen', I was reminded of this interaction with the 2-year-old. My response to her, "no, it's not o.k. and I apologize; I'll do a better job of writing things down from now on". I had to own it - the embarrassment, the feeling bad, the realization that I do forget - it's all mine. Once owned, I could move forward with how I plan to solve it in the future, should that person decide to give me another chance.
Enough for another session of "True Confessions on Blogspot.com". This is one post I hope few of you read.
But, if you are reading, I attended a good class with Adam yesterday. Since the sale of my studio, the buyer has assumed teaching the apex Saturday morning class - a good thing. That leaves my Saturday morning's open. Not knowing who was subbing for Sheldon, I decided the class with Adam would be of value. It was either that or his practice in the afternoon. My 'hard-core' yoga practice needs work, so a softer version was needed. Didn't necessarily turn out that way (softer), but I got a lot out of the class, I saw a few old friends, and I felt good when done. All good things.
Remember the word 'vijaya' from yesterday's post? Well, as I practiced yesterday, I thought of it often. We did padangusthasana(!?!?!), I reminded myself of how much I loved hugging the leg-to-be-extended in as I prepared to continue in the pose. Then voila! the left leg extended -- all the way -- not high, but straight and my torso was upright! Definitely a few 'vijayas' from that experience. I am sure the right leg would have amazed me also, but the left just was not in the mood for holding me up in balance postures yesterday. A little celebration is better than no celebration.
Today?
  • Husband time
  • Household tasks
  • A trip to the airport
  • Class with Tiffany
Have a great Sunday,

No comments: