Tuesday, February 15, 2011

'GUEST TEACHING' (a better way of saying 'sub')

As I was reminded yesterday by one of my new friends from Amy Ippoliti's '90 Minutes to Change the World'. Better we say we are guest teaching than subbing -- sounds so much better.

So, I know you all are wondering how it went? To teach in a totally new environment, to teach a group who I barely know (1 or 2 were familiar to me, but the other 17-18; new to me), to teach a very well schooled group with one new-to-yoga person in the group, to teach with several injuries in the room, to teach more at one time that I have ever done. A few balls to juggle, and -- it went great!

I arrived early (husband dropped me off), let myself in, adjusted heat, turned on lights, opened blinds. Because I was dropped off, there was no car in the parking lot -- worrisome, because who will attempt to come in if they don't see a car? Fortunately, about 5 minutes into my worry, in walked a very nice, bearded gentleman, who assured me that - now that his car was out there - the people would come. And, he was right. A full house. More than I have taught at one time.
You know how you walk into some yoga classes and everyone is either sitting in meditation or warming up? How the quiet in that room is deafening? Well -- not in Driggs. Everyone came boisterously into the room, set up their mats (in great Anusara® fashion), and began visiting with each other. It was like a party; so fun and so tension-relieving for me.
I followed Amy's advice and walked to each person in the room, extended my hand (I think, to everyone), and introduced myself. I inquired about injuries and practice history. I think I might have missed 1 or 2, who came in right as we began, but -- everyone knew who I was; which - sometimes - I forget to do; I just get too wrapped up in the teaching.
Video'ing this class would have been a good idea, but I made a last-minute decision to just enjoy it; left the camera in the car. I focused attention on foundations and the opening that we enjoy with a strong, supportive foundation (on and off the mat). I used the word "vijaya", in my introduction and asked them to try to remember that word -- to celebrate each pose, no matter how full of an expression they were able to create in the pose (remember, vijaya means incremental celebration).
I could go on and on about what I did and how, but the end result is that I had a great time teaching a wonderful group of welcoming and fun students, who were respectful and attentive. What more could I have asked for?
After class, one student came up to me to tell me that my teaching reminded her of Sundari's (WOW!); then she went on to tell me two things I had impressed on her:
  1. When I ask people to move to Uttanasana, I ask them to place 10 fingers on the floor (even if they have to bend their knees to do it). Prior to this class, the student had simply touched 7-8 fingers to the floor. The 10-fingered approach made her feel more grounded, she explained -- exactly!
  2. Lately, I've remembered JF's advice about not getting too rigid in the fingers. The last two classes I've taught, I have asked students to extend their arms, reach through their wrists, have their hands energized - but NOT rigid. Experiment with it - extend your arm, make your fingers really tense; now try it with your attention on extending through the wrist. I don't want to see hands flopping all over, so some muscle energy is needed through the fingers; but I think John's intent is that we stay soft through the fingers so that prana doesn't feel like it hits a concrete wall as it approaches our fingertips. Make sense? I'd love feedback. Anyway, the student I mentioned above, pointed out this piece of teaching as one of the things she enjoyed exploring in class.
So helpful when students offer these kinds of thoughts.

Today:
  • 9:15 am, Level 1-2 at The Yoga Center
  • Noon, Pilates
  • 2:30 pm, private
Have a great Tuesday,

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Awesome! I also really like the point of calling it guest teaching instead of subbing.