Saturday, May 21, 2011

HOMEWORK, TEACHING & HOUSEWORK

Those were major activities of this week -- oh, and lunch with a good friend who also has relocated to the San Diego area within the 2 years. A great way to spend a few hours on Friday.

I enjoyed my first voice-to-voice encounter with my Certification mentor last week. We shared a phone call, in which she offered comments on the video I've submitted. I have to say I was impressed and pleased with what I heard -- the good and the lacking (for lack of a better word). Her work had been thorough and she hit the nail on the head when she offered her thoughts for improvement. The same things I'd been thinking of and worrying about and trying to work on over the last months.
Then, she gave me homework. Not easy homework. Usually, when given something to answer in writing, I can knock it out pretty rapidly -- not this. After thinking about the questions asked for a few days, I began typing - thoughts began to flow - ideas to germinate. All said, the 3-part homework assignment was finished this week - on Thursday - and I sent it in; all 5 pages of single-spaced, typed text. My comment to her: Whew!
And, it was a good exercise for me and will help me as I move forward. Because now, the things I typed I am to put into practice as I teach. Another 'whew', as I contemplate that.
Speaking of teaching, it was a good week. My new student in Carlsbad returned, along with two instructors from the studio. Fun to have people coming to class; it was a lonely first few weeks. As summer begins, I'll be on the lookout for guest teaching opportunities to familiarize myself with the community and increase my exposure.
And, in Temecula, the energy stays good -- more people are coming in to the classes I teach; new-to-me and a few 'repeaters'. In both classes -- the Gentle and the Basics -- we used the wall to experience more opening.
Though I'm hardly in shape these days for a 3-hour practice (that's an admission that I have not been pushing myself very hard, yoga-wise, during this transition period), I think I'll venture out to one led by Ashley later today. Tomorrow, the Anusara (Certified and Inspired) teachers of the 'Inland Empire' (not sure there are very many of us in the Temecula/Riverside/??? area) will meet -- a first! Love it. We will do some yoga and spend time getting to know one another.
The house? It's been a quiet week on the acre -- no painters, no contractor, no window covering person, no gate builders. Even I took a break. I had signed up to go to Tucson for the Intensive with Darren, Amy & Christina; once the decision was made to not follow through on that, the weight lifted and it was as though I was on vacation, I guess. I feel badly I didn't go; however, the good? Reading that participants are now convinced that Hanumanasana is a pose to rest in -- that, to me, means they are working, HARD!
Today - a practice in Temecula. 3 hours of yoga, plus travel time, is a good chunk of the day around here.
Hope your Saturday is a good one!

No comments: