Saturday, July 30, 2011

SO MANY 'PEARLS'

I still vibrate with the inspiration offered me at the Gathering, earlier this week (seems it was longer ago, but - no, it was just this week). And, I find myself going back to my notebook over and over, looking for quotes, 'pearls' of wisdom, offered by the philosophers, the instructors, and by John during those 3 days.

Now, I wish I had taken more detailed notes. At the time, tho, it seemed important to just listen. Each time I would begin to write, I'd miss the next 'pearl'. A dual-edged decision to stop writing; leaving my memory in charge of remembering.
Well, remembering will be important in this post also -- the computer or the blog program decided to NOT save my entire post; leaving me to rely on memory to re-write it. Here goes:
I finished yesterday's post with the quote "Lean into your edge." Why? Because, for me, it is a great example for Monday's philosophy topic: Darshan / Sadhana. The sanskrit word, darshan, means 'the view' or 'sight'; sadhana means practice (meditation, asana/poses, spiritual practices, etc.). Think of darshan as the attitude, sadhana is the action, what I do in between is to align.
The best example I came up with in my previous post (now lost somewhere in 'cyberspace') was that every now and then I become stale -- perhaps it's a sign of boredom with teaching the same poses, using similar themes, or practicing the same sequence over and over. Fortunately, it is at those times that a training or workshop comes along. I attend, I learn, I push myself a bit farther than I have been doing on my own, I walk away re-invigorated, with a new 'view' of my practice, my goals, my abilities. Like that.
Darshan - the view - precedes sadhana. Why? Because it is darshan that empowers our sadhana. The view helps me avoid pitfalls; I take the philosophy / teachings in, let them vibrate, and they become the embodiment of my view. My darshan refreshes my sadhana.
So, darshan = attitude, the setting of the foundation. I align through my study. And, my sadhana is the action that comes from setting my foundation and aligning.
My opportunities for study have expanded, as well. These three scholars, Hareesh Wallis, Christopher Tompkins, and Eric Shaw, all offer on-line and in-person opportunities to study with them. I'll be checking them out -- each of them was down-to-earth, approachable, 'regular guys' (just really smart 'regular guys'), who each had a sense of humor. Those are the kind I need -- approachable, down-to-earth, regular, with some humor thrown in. I deal with the smart part more easily if the other qualities are there. Not to put 'smart' philosophers down, but philosophy, at times, goes right over my head -- I need to be able to connect; once connected, the understanding comes more easily.
Hope you have a great Saturday!

No comments: