Tuesday, August 2, 2011

SHARING THE 'PEARLS'

I used to hold my 'pearls' close. Not sharing. I was 'selfish' (ouch). That was then, this is now; that time is history.

Today, I share my 'pearls'; as yoga teachers, we are here not only to teach our students, but to also teach our peers (and to be taught by them), to even teach our teachers on occasion. (A recent issue of YogaJournal addressed this - when it chronicled the relationships of several well-known yoga instructors.)
We keep our knowledge 'close to the vest' when we feel insecure and threatened. Maybe it's age, maybe it's a change of attitude, whatever it is -- it is now much easier for me to share.
Now, that doesn't mean that I'm going to spend $100, $200, or more for a training, then turn around and give all of my hard-earned notes to someone who didn't spend the money or time to participate in the same training. But, I will share 'pearls', dropping them along the way, sharing appropriate pearls with my peers. There are also some trainings I've participated in that are 'closed', meaning - especially in webinar situations - that the teacher leading the webinar has asked we not share the downloaded webinar contents with others who have not signed up. Of course, as I practice what I've learned (and, if people pay attention), the 'pearls' may become apparent. But, that's different.
Anyway, I've come a long way -- I enjoy sharing the teachings I feel are appropriate to be shared. No more do I hoard and keep my knowledge secret. It just feels better.
Have a great Tuesday!

1 comment:

Nan said...

As someone who benefits from your "pearls" many thanks...