Saturday, August 13, 2011

DID I MENTION EXPANSION?

I think I did. And, it just goes to show you that if you think about it enough, it just may come round to let you experience it -- expansion, that is.

And, what you ask, am I expanding into? Teaching a demographic (right word?) of students new to me -- the student who is pregnant, has just delivered her baby, or - maybe - wants to be in one of those categories.
I have avoided this demographic for the 8+ years I have taught yoga. Why? Not sure - I guess, to be honest, it makes me a bit nervous. Perhaps because I feel responsible for the student standing in front of me, AND for her unborn child growing sight-unseen to me.
And, what has avoiding this demographic done for my skills in teaching them? Not much. I now must spend the next few weeks studying appropriate poses, how to adapt to different levels of pregnancy or post-pregnancy, and - as importantly - make everyone feel as though what they have done in class is a good and heart-felt experience.
So, after contracting back into avoidance for 8+ years, it's time for a bit of expansion; seems to be a theme here, doesn't there? I will assume the prenatal class in mid-September; if I don't procrastinate, I should have time to become book-ready to teach the class and will have practiced my teaching some.
In the interim, I also will begin a new class next week in my own neighborhood of Fallbrook -- a class for whoever shows at the Fallbrook Library. I'm anxious to do this, to teach in my own neck of the woods and to offer Anusara® yoga to the community. It will, however, be interesting to see who shows for a 3pm class (60 minutes) class. I may end up with a class of adults, teens and pre-teens, or both. Add onto that, their yoga experience and any physical limitations (thinking of the adults, here), I could be looking at a most excellent teaching adventure.
Preparation time! Enjoy your Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to come across this today just as I was searching around and contemplating if I should register for Yoga 2 this fall. Can you recommend some books that talk about pregnancy or TTC.

-Rainee