Tuesday, August 16, 2011

FULL STRETCH !!!

Readers who have attended one of John Friend's workshops or trainings know this phrase well. "Full stretch!" is heard several times during a class, especially the morning sessions when standing poses are the emphasis.

Funny how I find those phrases working their way into my vocabulary, as well. Think about it, tho. What better way to get my students to max out their stretching potential than a well-modulated "full stretch!".
Sometimes, tho -- and this will depend on the students' interpretation or my lack of modulation -- it falls flat. I say it. I look into the room. What do I see? Floppy fingers, bent elbows, hands in front plane of body, side body 'short' -- not the things a 'full stretch' is made of. Now, you wonder, where is she headed with all this?
Yesterday, I began a new class -- a volunteer teaching opportunity at the Fallbrook Library. A brand new one-hour class of students new to me, in a strange place. Of the nine students in the room, only 4 had yoga experience (and just one of those had practiced over a period of time; everyone else had limited prior experience). This would be the type of environment to be prepared for the floppy finger'd, bent elbow'd, side body 'short' example of 'full stretch'.
But NO -- it didn't happen. Everyone in that room, from the 12-year-old to the 60-year-old (guessing at exact years), stretched FULLY -- applying great muscular energy in response to my request (command?) of 'full stretch!'. My theme? Courage; Why? it takes courage to try something new (there's that risk of failure or feeling out of place).
Once set up with a firm foundation and heart's lifted, the 'full stretch!' was just these student's next step on our courage journey.
Nine students for a brand-new class and a 'full stretch!' -- be still my heart!
From this class, I jetted (drove, actually) up to Temecula for a 5pm class (this is the class I will teach in the next couple weeks for my second video). I was torn between this class and attending the Beach Party Anusara® Birthday Celebration with John Friend and the local Anusara Kula. Instead, I felt making my presence known was important for this group of students -- after all, I need six people in the room when filming. Choices. Gotta love/hate 'em. There will be other opportunities for 'beach celebrations'.
Today? Teaching in Carlsbad (10:30 am Intro class at Carlsbad Wellness); then in Temecula (2 pm Therapeutic/Gentle Class at Living Yoga). I'll be 'full stretching' right along with them!
Have a great Tuesday,