Thursday, August 4, 2011

EXPLAINING TANTRA

This week, I've been attending classes taught by others who attended the Anusara-Inspired™ Gathering with me in Wanderlust. Why? First reason, because I want to; ulterior motive? to see how they communicate the teachings they came away with.

Kudos to them -- they are keeping it simple; trying not to bombard their students with each detail they learned in the 3 intense days, simply opening a door here and there and allowing a glimpse inside.
One of the expanding moments for me was a forthright discussion of the word 'tantra'. Our (Anusara®'s) philosophy is based on tantra. Knowing that, put yourself in my shoes when I explain to students the 3 differentiating factors of Anusara® yoga from other styles:
  1. Teaching of alignment principles (our UPA's)
  2. Strong kula (community of the heart)
  3. A tantric philosophy supporting the practice (WHAT? TANTRA? -- at least, that's what I worry my students are thinking when I say the word "TANTRA")
What happened at Wanderlust was good for me - a forthright and clear discussion of Tantra, it's roots, etc. Not that I hadn't heard it before; I had, many times. This time, tho, I came away with a clearer way to explain to students that "no, Tantra doesn't mean we practice our yoga with an emphasis on sex". In fact, the word 'tantra' means 'the system' -- a means of doing something. So, we can know that it is not a religion and the word tantra can be an adjective for anything we believe in -- i.e. Tantric Christianity or Tantric Islam; meaning that I am able to practice those two religions - if I choose to - with fullness present in every moment. Using Tantra, I am able to bridge the two aspects so present in my life -- one, money and possessions; the other, spirituality and goodness.
A most clear and primary message: "do not 'google' Tantra on your computer". Why? You will get every website that does give people the message it's all about sex. You have to go back, way back, into the texts and have someone like these scholars define what was really said; not what some people want them to say -- like a blank check to do anything we want; that's not what it's about. It's about living my life, enjoying my life, looking for the good in my life, a 'tantric' way of living.
I did just google 'Tantra' -- Wikipedia does a pretty good job of defining (at least the first 2 paragraphs, which is all I've read this morning):

An important characteristic of this movement was that it is a radically positive, world-embracing vision of the whole of reality as an expression of a joyous Divine Consciousness (for example, as the divine play of Shakti and Shiva.[1]). Tantric spiritual practices and rituals aim to bring about an inner realization of this truth, bringing freedom from ignorance and rebirth in the process.

As I am not a philosophy scholar, if anything here doesn't make sense -- don't call me on it. I am still learning.
Have a great Thursday!

No comments: