Friday, September 16, 2011

AHH, FRIDAY !!!

One busy teaching week, this one has been! Taught two classes Monday; 3 classes Tuesday; no classes, but worked on getting video off camera on to a DVD, Wednesday; then 3 classes on Thursday.

No teaching today, taking son to lunch -- it's his birthday. 37 years old; oh my! Happy Birthday, Derek -- you make us proud!
Back to teaching. Lots of elements to enjoy, to think about, to learn from. Among them:
  • My library class in Fallbrook was attended by 7; 5 of whom were new-to-me students (one new-to-yoga). It will be a challenge to teach many different skill, age and ability levels. I think, tho, this is my kind of teaching. I do enjoy it.
  • Teaching meditation is interesting; never have done it formally, just as a sub. My practice has taught me that it is a slow learning process. However, students come to class (first class) expecting to reap immediate benefits. It is hard to sit for 2, 3 or 5 minutes; no matter how much yoga or exercise you've done. That's a fact; but, try explaining that to someone who is sleep-deprived due to stress and searching for an avenue to find relaxation -- NOW!
  • Tuesday's classes brought scoliosis into my vision -- 2 classes, both with young women who have the condition. Both very body aware and yet searching for ways to deal with this condition. I also got a chance to teach my first formal prenatal class. Whew! This will be a learning opportunity for me.
  • Wednesday - video off camera and on to DVD. Hooray!
  • Thursday - Subbed a gentle yoga class (truly 'gentle', not like I teach it), so I tried to stay in line with the regular instructor's format. New group; first comment "I do more movement stretching to get out of bed in the morning!" Whoaaa! I usually don't encounter such honesty and outspoken-ness; but, having heard that and re-evaluating the group -- I kicked it up a notch.
  • Also on Thursday - in my own morning class, I was able to help a newer-to-yoga student get her legs up the wall into "L" pose. Good, empowering move for her! And, also wonderful for me, was the fact that 7 attended my 4pm class! Once again, all different levels with a 10-year-old thrown in. Fun, even when the cell phones started ringing (including mine !?!?!)
  • Another Thursday Highlight: DVD in the overnight mail to Sarah. Waiting . . .
  • Friday - we'll see what lessons I have to learn from this day.
Hope your Friday is a great one!

No comments: