Monday, September 12, 2011

HOME, SWEET HOME

We arrived back in San Diego Saturday afternoon. Easy trip, no delays, no glitches, smooth sailing. Arrived a few minutes early, even. Retrieved our bags, our car and hit the highway. It was 4:30pm. I'm telling you this because the next paragraph will describe our feat of 'highway magic'.

We kennel'd our dogs at a nice facility in Murrieta (about 15 miles north of our house), and our house is about 45 miles north of the airport (60 miles in all). Our original plan was to pick the dogs upon Sunday during pick-up hours of 3-5:30pm. Well, we both had missed them; Howard had been away longer, so his desire to see them was a bit stronger. We hit the highway, drove with the flow (which, according to manuals is what we should do; it also means you are exceeding the speed limit a bit). I'm thinking 'we'll never make it'; he's driving with a determined gleam in his eye. Long story short, we made it. At 5:25pm, I called the kennel to tell them we were 3 blocks away; at 5:28pm, we pulled into the lot. Paid, loaded dogs, off to home. Whew!
Traffic rarely flows so smoothly on the San Diego freeways; we were lucky. We were also fortunate the plane arrived a bit early, the car was easy to get to and load, things just seemed to 'click along'. Some days are like that.
Home, and all is well. The cats survived (I have 2, who were visited on occasion by our son, Derek, who also watered plants for us and checked on the place). It's a bit dusty, but I can deal with that.
Sunday a.m., we walked dogs, then went for breakfast at a local eatery. Back at home to unpack, do a few other chores, then sat down at computer to download my video. Well, it's been over a year since I've done this part. Let's just say it took all of yesterday afternoon/evening to get the 'movie' ready; now, as soon as this is written, I'll burn it to the DVD (this is also a long process, if I remember correctly). My goal: get it in the mail today. Fingers Crossed.
This time, the video process has been done with much support -- people I knew attended the class, friends and people I've never met formally have been wishing me well over sites like Facebook or through this blog. Truly a great feeling to have that. I thank you all.
Today will be a busy one -- taking 'grand-dudes' to karate this morning; then run a few errands; then teach my class at the Fallbrook Library at 3pm. Maybe I'll take in Ashley's class after, we'll see.
While I love Driggs and our place there, it's good to be home. Hope you have a great Monday!

No comments: