Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"COWBOY UP!"

The first time I heard "cowboy up!" was from the lips of a Wyoming yoga teacher -- as in 'let's do some yoga -- Wyoming style' !!! Laughed because it was so 'Wyoming' - so strong, so powerful, so fun in a quirky way. And, I have never forgotten.

Isn't it interesting the things I remember? I think I went through a short list many posts back. The things I remember that I only needed to hear once before they were clearly and forever embedded in my emotional and physical self. Things like:
  • How to move your wrist creases to parallel without losing your grip on the mat, or lifting fingertips.
  • Why feet parallel is so important, not just in yoga but in everyday life!
  • 'Don't answer the question that hasn't been asked.' (Actually, this took a while to embed itself because I was so excited to share EVERYTHING I had learned. It's taken, and these days I wait. Thank you, John Friend)
  • Themes are seeds. Plant them and nurture them throughout the class. Be aware of the opposite of my theme and heart quality -- I will be able to more effectively carry through on transmission of my message.
  • Use hand to inner knee to draw a leg back to janu sirsasana. Why? Hip flexors stay more relaxed.
  • Cramps are often caused by too much muscular energy. When struggling with one, try to extend out organically from that painful spot -- it's hard, I know. Try it, anyway.
  • Each pose is a work of art (I frequently ask students to imagine their vrksasana is a painting they've created on the wall. Especially if they begin fidgeting, wiggling from foot to foot, shaking the ankle as soon as they come out of the pose. I ask "What if they took their hand and smeared that beautiful, imaginary painting on the wall?" Same thing. No remembrance of the beauty they created.) Stand still, take a breath instead, remember.
  • And, "Cowboy Up!"
These have been just a few. I actually went back through my notes from a level 2 Teacher Training with JF, and was reminded of some of these (imagine how many I could come up with if I went through all the notes!).
Why did "cowboy up" come to mind? As I taught a short meditation class last night, asking students new to meditation to create their seat, this phrase kept coming to mind -- not sure why, and I didn't use it. It just seemed to fit -- here they are creating their seat, their saddle. Now get on it and ride! Silly stuff, but some days are like that.
In this meditation class, I was queried after class by one student -- 'I hope to learn to relax, but I felt so tense as we sat. Is that how it's supposed to be?' I could tell by the comments and the look on his face that he was very intent on finding a way to relax, to sleep. Since he has not done much yoga (or any meditation, to date), I explained that everything we do is a practice. Sitting in meditation comfortably will take time. I offered them 3 short periods of meditation in this 60-minute class; interspersed with mild movement, a restorative pose, and some pranayama. After all, who can sit for 60 minutes during their first meditation experience? I hope he will accept my answer, accept that practice will give him access to the relaxation and calm he seeks. We'll see if he's in class next week.
Today? 3 classes to teach. A new one for me, prenatal yoga, which I have avoided (except to sub occasionally). Not sure why. Going to give it a shot.
Gonna 'cowboy up!'
Hope you have a great Tuesday.

No comments: