Tuesday, September 20, 2011

PEER PRESSURE

I've felt it, that pressure to do more, be more, maybe act differently than my comfortable nature is willing to. It happens sometimes without my awareness, but often I know what's happening. Then the challenge is to keep moving in the direction I'm being moved (that is, if it's a healthy direction).

It's the reason I took my first teacher training with Desiree Rumbaugh (a good thing), 8 years ago. I succumbed to peer pressure from one of my friends and fellow teachers, Jen Hecht. She 'dragged' me to Arizona, to a week-long training with a woman I had never met, telling me that 'this is good for us; we need to do this'. It turned out to be one of the best weeks of my life, a time of expansion, a time of stepping out of my comfort zone to meet new people, the first time I have kicked up to headstand (thank you, whoever my partner was). And, thank you, Jen.
I started this post without a clear destination; therefore, I am going to take a slight detour, before coming back to the title's topic. Where are we going? To the land of quotes. It seems that every quote I read this week on Facebook is about comfort zones, meeting ourselves, not quitting -- not that I want to 'quit' anything, just all very relative to my thoughts on moving forward and change. The one shared recently from Gil Hedley is very appropriate:

"The tension and holding in our bodies reflect the tension and holding in our lives-at-large. To expand and open our bodies, it helps to open up your life a bit. This will mean something different to everybody of course. And if you open up your life a lot, your body may change so much you'll hardly recognize yourself~ It'll still be you though. And once you've done all that, you're still not done. There's always more."

For me, it's true -- I do hardly recognize myself. I think my family, at times, worries that I may change too much. Fortunately, Howard (my husband) sees the 'before and after of Leslie' and also sees that I've struck a balance. Perhaps that's because I do see people get too in one direction; forgetting the past or casting it aside for a new and 'better' life. The new 'better' life may not materialize, it's certainly different, but new and better? maybe not; just different issues to deal with. So, I work with the old Leslie (first 47 years) and the new Leslie (the recent 14 years). I'm still shedding things about old Leslie that are not appealing to me (hard work), and adding in new qualities that I've always wanted in my life, just didn't realize (also hard work). I would be remiss if I didn't thank my husband for accepting and pushing on occasion.
So, detour over -- what about peer pressure? It's visible in all my yoga classes -- the mother that brings her child/children to class; the friend who brings the friend; and - recently - seeing a student on the precipice of 'giving up' on a pose, only to look at her friend and become re-motivated when she observed that friend doing the pose.
What I see are great things, great exposures that people are offering their friends, family, loved ones. But, not all will 'take', not everyone will see the benefit of the practice, that's the plain truth. I have to accept that. That's a difficult pill to swallow, because I know the benefits, I know the beauty, I know the new awareness I have. I want that for everyone.
Enough with this. Some topics get to the precipice (love that word) of 'heavy' and I back off. Another growth moment? Out of the comfort zone and into the world! (New mantra material)
Enjoy your Tuesday,

2 comments:

Desiree Rumbaugh said...

Fantastic Leslie. You are an inspiring force in the world. I am going to adopt that new mantra. It is perfect for me right now. Love always! Desiree

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

:)