Thursday, October 27, 2011

THE ELEPHANT . . .

There's a phrase often heard when something disturbing happens, which refers to the "elephant in the middle of the room".  As in, there are some things said, but the reasons (the real meat) are left for you to wonder about (hence, the elephant).  There's 'something' out there that isn't being said or revealed.

That's my concern now, as I contemplate the resignation of two of Anusara's well-known Certified instructors. Why? And, why now? And, what changed?  (Maybe there is more than one elephant in the room; there are certainly - in my mind - more questions.)

The announcement from John Friend told us what we needed to know -- they resigned, he accepted the resignation. Then comes a letter from one of the resignees, telling me that resigning Certification was simply tearing up a 'piece of paper' (paraphrasing here). Wait - hold the presses. That just doesn't gel. This person has been a big force in my movement towards that 'piece of paper', a major influence, a person I've quoted and complimented time and time again. Now, to casually drop a 'bomb' and to tell me that it's just a 'piece of paper' is not acceptable (to me).

Many are willing (based on comments on Facebook and responses to the above-mentioned letter) to live and let live, offer congratulations and well wishes. I want more. I want to know why.  I want the 'elephant' to reveal itself.  And, I want to know that what I've worked for for 7+ years (that 'piece of paper') is not just something to cast off with platitudes of 'friendship is stronger than a piece of paper'.

As I write this, I admit to myself that I am not close enough to any of the people involved to ever know the real reasons.  They may reveal themselves over time, or maybe never. I'll just have to get used to it.

My journey to Certification continues.  I still want that 'piece of paper' -- it has value, more than just as gilded paper -- it encapsulates a period of time in my life of growth and expansion, of pushing myself more than ever in the previous 50+ years, and - certainly - of new friendships. It's a BIG deal to me.

My best to John Friend and the two who have resigned.

Have a good Thursday,

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

great post. What a shocker! To hear it is just a piece of paper suprizes me too. I hold that certifcation and the people who have it with such respect and inspiration.