Sunday, October 16, 2011

EXPECTATION

"Students will rise to the level of expectation."

Another quote taken from Facebook (Thank you, Abby Tucker). She wrote it in quotation marks, but didn't credit anyone - not sure if it's hers or something she is relaying; perhaps the author is unknown. No matter, it's still a keeper (and, very true in my experience).
It's something that took a while for me, as a yoga teacher, to understand. For a long time, I played to the audience -- I surveyed the group and then only taught as much as the weakest (or most injured) could handle (in my mind). I noticed, while doing this, that other - more experienced and/or confident instructors - were asking classes with new or challenged-by-injury students to do poses I would never dream of asking for. Yet, it was working for them -- no one got hurt, everyone was happy - even if they worked their ____ off.
My theory, then -- I didn't want to overwork students, perhaps take them to places they might hurt themselves, or - worse - have them NOT like me. So, I kept it on the 'down low', meaning my volume of 'energetic output' in classes was modest (I'm being kind here). I kept the volume low for a long time - it seemed to work, but I didn't feel like I was 'hooking' anyone. You know, like that yoga teacher who has the almost cult-like following for her Tuesday/Thursday morning classes (I'm thinking of one particular friend; but it happens everywhere). What were they doing that I wasn't. I was being nice. I was teaching Anusara-Inspired™ yoga. I was including the principles. I was NOT challenging the students in my classes; my expectations were low.
This mirrors my life in many ways. Travel along the easeful path, don't get too 'out there', don't make waves, try to make people like me by being careful - in speech, mannerisms, appearance. I've never pushed the boundaries of my existence much, until yoga.
With yoga came a shift. That's a long blog in itself, and this one is about asking students to do more than I "think", for whatever reason, they are able to accomplish.
Yet, I want to be challenged. I grow when I'm challenged. I must give that gift to my students. I've realized that and - while teaching yesterday - I almost took a step back and briefly considered turning the volume down. But, to do so, would have meant no challenge, no expectation of greatness, no sense of accomplishment or fun. So, I worked in and around the sore knee and elbow/back issues. I challenged most; one might have taken more, but I still need to strike a balance. Too much of a good thing (in this case, my expectations and challenge), and I lose them. It's a balance -- always, a balance.
What was my theme yesterday? Ordinary becomes extraordinary, of course.
I teach again this morning -- what will the theme be this morning? Still working on that.
After that -- all the things I didn't get done yesterday.
Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

so great L! Its so fun to follow your journey on your blog since your no longer in SLC. happy day to you!