Tuesday, October 18, 2011

17 (count'em SEVENTEEN)

The number of students in my Library yoga class yesterday -- 17. Be still my heart!

At 2:45, I sat with 2 students waiting (and chatting). I was beginning to worry; normally this class arrives early, with one or two sneaking in at the last minute. At 2:50, in walks a friend from the yoga classes I've been attending at the studio in Temecula. So, we're at 3. Then -- it was like the gates opened and in came the remaining 14. Amazing!
Many said they had seen my flier at the Library and were impressed with it. I'd better take a closer look at it. I didn't create it, but had glanced at it briefly. One of the repeated comments was that it is so simple, yet effective. Good work, flier-creator whoever you are!
What did we work on? Madhya, the Sanskrit word for middle. One of my favorite words. It kind of rolls off the tongue the more you say it (pronounced mud-ya). And, it so effectively describes the balance between effort and surrender. For this group, I especially wanted them to 'get' that, in our asymmetrical standing poses, we often feel discomfort in the front leg. In my experience, that happens because we are not asking both legs to share in the work of the pose. Usually the front leg takes the brunt of the work, and the back leg just kind of 'hangs out', waiting - for what, I don't know. I hoped to bring the madhya to their attention in these poses -- equally working both legs, embracing the midline, enjoying a more easeful, stable foundation.
What happened? At the completion of side one of a modified parsvakonasana, I asked for feedback (FYI, during the pose, I'd asked students to fire up the back leg, especially if the front leg was beginning to 'complain'.) One new-to-me student spoke up, saying that 'yes' the discomfort did go away. There were several nodding heads accompanying her comment. Yes!
I love moments like that -- when one student will speak up, validating what I had been trying to relay to them in my comments and instructions. Sometimes, I have to pry it out of people (shyness?); this time, there was little hesitation -- even better!
Today? I am taking care of youngest grand-dude (Carson) for 2 nights / 2.5 days. This is a biggie for me and his parents -- a first. I'm excited to experience it; not sure how he feels about it - tho, at 1yr, I doubt he will realize much is happening except that he won't see his parents and siblings for a couple nights. (We'll see; I'll keep you posted.)
Hope your Tuesday is a good one!

No comments: