Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A FIRST - FOR ME AND THEM

I was asked to 'guest-teach' a class this past weekend: Sunday morning's 9:30 Advanced/Intermediate Yoga Class at Living Yoga in Temecula.

This was a last-minute request, one laced with desperation, so I accepted. Normally I avoid 'advanced-intermediate' like the plague. Why? Not because I can't, but because I question my skills at teaching this level of student. As in, will they get what they came for? Will I be able to work them hard enough? There's also the fact that many of the poses taught in this level of class are not poses I normally practice (many dvesha poses here); how does one teach what one doesn't practice well?
I accepted anyway. Decided to kick myself out of my 'basic' comfort zone right into 'advanced'.
My worries began late Saturday; I procastinated, however -- which is my nature. Sunday morning (EARLY), I was up looking through tried-and-true lesson plans (all for 'basic' classes). How to make those 'advanced'? Nothing clicked.
Then I stumbled on an article written by Christina Sell which would take students to vishvamitrasana. It was an abbreviated plan -- meaning the valuable pieces were there; I had to add 'filler' -- a down dog here, a chaturanga dandasana there, instructions to get to the floor, like that. I began typing, including the sequence she suggested, adding poses I thought would be valuable, voila! Print it out and off to the studio.
Just 4 came to class on Sunday. We began. About 20 minutes into the class, a case of 'major misgivings' began to seep into my confidence reservoir -- as in "what do I think I'm doing, trying to teach these people ANYTHING"? My choices -- stick it out or walk out. Made the right decision to stick it out and continued. It got easier, students were welcoming, they laughed, they worked hard - following all instructions to the letter.
We reached the knee-down version of vishvamitrasana. One student, a yoga teacher herself, said "Oh, this is the pose I see in all the magazines. I've always wanted to do it, but have never been able to get to it." We continued. Knee-down went well; on to the full version. That also went well. Ecstatic laughter in the room, even from one 'not-quite-to-the-pose' student - who was cheering the rest on. Time almost up, a relaxed cool-down, a centering pose, savasana, and closing comments.
Then, an ovation -- from students to me.
I came clean about the article, and I've thanked Christina for helping me experience this grand moment -- a chance to teach a great class to attentive students. I also must acknowledge that I was able to transmit it all effectively. I still get goose bumps just thinking about the looks on their faces (and the giggles) when they came down from their poses. So great!
pastedGraphic.pdf
Today? Back to regular schedule -- 10:30 'basic' class in Carlsbad, 2pm Therepeutic/Gentle Class in Temecula, 4:30pm Pre/Postnatal Class in Temecula. Inbetween? A bit of driving.
Hope your Tuesday is great!

No comments: