Tuesday, November 1, 2011

ACTIVE FEET

I taught yesterday; an all-levels class at the Fallbrook Library.  This is my volunteer class.  I love teaching it.  Not because it's volunteer, but because of the level of studentship in the room.

As I scanned the room, everyone in their best janu sirsasana, I noticed the feet.  Of the 10 pairs of feet (20 in all - feet, that is), not one was 'flopping in the wind'.  All were active - toes bright and pointing towards the ceiling on extended leg; on the other bent leg, toes were pressing to the floor.  This is unusual; since, my experience has been that in a class of 10 students, I am bound to have one or two who forget, who don't see the value, who aren't 'in the class' enough to activate (and keep activated) the feet.

I believe I've commented before about this group, about their full participation in class. The last time was about 'full stretch', and the level of effort being expended to get into the 'full stretch' I had requested.

And, the longer I teach, the more convinced I am that this reflects how much students value being in the practice of yoga.

Not sure where I am headed with this.  I could go off on a diatribe about studentship, or I could simply say this is a great group to teach, or I could stop and go off on another topic.  Let's just say that I am impressed.  A volunteer class, at the library, just 60 minutes long, all levels of experience, is not the place I expect to see this kind of dedication to the practice.  But, I'm seeing it.  They embrace, accept, carry out instructions; they don't forget.

Kudos to the Library Class!

Today?  Teaching in Carlsbad - 10:30am; then to Temecula to teach at 2pm and again at 4:30.  Busy day, lots of driving, fueled by memories of happy toes, active feet.

Hope your Tuesday is a good one,

No comments: