Sunday, October 30, 2011

NICE 'BIRTHDAY' DAY

We had a bit of a rocky start, but Howard's Birthday Day went pretty well after that.

What rocky start?  The class I was teaching in Carlsbad created a rush-rush aspect to the morning, which is not the way we like weekends to go. Hurry through the coffee & conversation aspect of the morning, rush to walk the dogs, scramble to find phone, race up the drive - like that.   Then, as we drove a few blocks away from home, it became apparent he thought we were going to Temecula -- wrong!  That added to the stress a bit, but - in the end - I made it to class, he made it to a 24-Hour Fitness somewhere, and we re-connected for coffee and grocery shopping after.

The class I taught was another small one -- I am getting superb at teaching small classes.  This one, 4 people.  I realized the other day that I hadn't taught ardha chandrasana (or chapasana) for a long time, so that was the apex pose for this class. It fit well with my theme (madhya - or middle/center - again), and I focused on muscular energy and organic extension as the alignment principles.

After rushing, teaching, shopping, we came home and I finished up some homework for my Certification mentor. You guessed it - the process continues.  I received very good feedback from her on my video, yet there remain a couple things to get more of into my classes -- more going back to the theme and more linking instructions.

FYI, 2 years ago, I felt I was too 'soft' when teaching. I knew the stuff, but the transmission just didn't 'pack much punch'.  At that time, Christina Sell was offering her first on-line mentoring program. She has 'punch', so I signed up immediately. My teaching expanded greatly and my 'punch' improved. Why tell you this? Well, now I have too much 'punch' -- as in I am pretty directive when teaching:  "step your leg back", "move to plank", like that.  I have gone so far into the 'punch' that I have eliminated much of the linking.  Need to find the madhya (middle), more balance of 'punch' and linking to create flow.

Interesting to receive feedback. Feedback that isn't what you wanted, yet you still feel good about it. (FYI, I wanted her to say "yes, it's good enough, you're Certified"; didn't happen.)

I heard someone talking the other day about a friend who submitted a video and, when it wasn't approved, has become discouraged, 'hurt' and has stepped back from the process.  I wonder what part of 'this is a learning process' was missed in the Immersions and Teacher Trainings that person attended. Didn't they hear that the video will be assessed and they might be asked to do more; or were they just sure the first one would pass?  I don't know this person, or I might go to them and say "look at the video again with your assessor's comments in hand". Stay open and I'll bet you see what they saw -- enhance (correct) that; then do it again. This is training us, whether we want to think it or not.  It will never be an immediate 'pass'. Enough on that. Oh, and I'd add: "you better get used to it, because every year someone will evaluate your classes, should you decide to return to the journey". There, that's enough.

Today? The formal Birthday Party. We've planned chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream (because chocolate and vanilla are our two grand-dudes' (Jack & Brady) favorites.  Other 'fun' activities: pick up the yard a bit more, help put the shed back in order, laundry (no, that's done), housework - especially picking up pet hair (that's never done).

Have a great Sunday, or "enjoying the weather wherever you are, have a great day!"  (practice linking, practice linking, practice linking),

No comments: