Sunday, November 27, 2011

I DON'T GO BACKWARDS . . .

Yes, friends, that is what I heard as I taught yesterday.  Just as I was to begin a demo offered me by Betsey Downing (see description later).

I was a bit taken back by that comment since this is a student I have seen many times in passing at the studio. I continued with the demo, but after class another student echoed the same sentiment -- that she doesn't go backwards, either.

Wow!

Well, they did yesterday. Ustrasana, to be exact. We began in a COLD studio (62 degrees outside, no more than 55 inside) -- small space heaters running full blast.  Got them warming up (literally), opened shoulders, quads, hamstrings. Worked on inner and outer spiral (since I was subbing, this was not a group very familiar with Anusara 'lingo').

When it came time to 'go backwards' in the demo (which was a partner pose), they all did it.  O.K., O.K. -- here's the demo:

2 partners stand face to face, Partner #1 with arms raised as tho they were lying on their bellies getting ready to move into cobra - elbows a bit to front plane of body.  Partner #2 places her/his hands under upper arm, close to elbow. Partner #1 presses elbows down into Partner #2's hands, as the hands resist. Nobody's hands/arms are moving, but Partner #1 is able to lift their heart, bend ('go') backwards.  Standing backbend - voila!  Into the unknown and un-tread territory, as I was finding out.

So, we did a few more poses, then came Ustrasana.  Each person went back; of seven in the room, just one had a tweaking in lower back -- fixed with more emphatic spiraling and lengthening (or, lifting of the heart).  I think it went well and I believe they liked it also.  Anything that goes o.k. and doesn't hurt is usually a keeper.  Comments were overheard as they left the studio -- "I liked that going backward.  I've never done that before."  Be still my heart.


Class over, it was off to pick up the 2 older grand-dudes and take them to lunch.  Their favorite restaurant, Ruby's, has a 50's feel with trains running on overhead tracks. Drawback:  it's located in a huge outlet mall, and it's the Saturday after Thanksgiving which equals a parking challenge. Not just finding a space, but also parking their car which is a HUGE Suburban (easier to not change out car seats).  But, we found one;  had a nice lunch, then back to car and off to a park for 15 minutes of 'playtime'.

Took the boys home, changed my clothes and Howard was waiting to take me to "Jesus Christ Superstar".  An amazing production that will go to Broadway in March.

Today?  Nursing a sore left ribcage (something - I don't know what - that happened while encouraging 7 people to 'go backwards').  Knelt down to offer a thought and there it was -- pain.  Still present this morning.

Hope your Sunday is a good one!

No comments: