Monday, November 28, 2011

'splain it to me', please!?!?!?

Just a folksy way to start this post -- "splain it" -- who used to say that?  Movie or TV show person, I think.  Just 'googled' it -- it was Ricky Ricardo saying "splain it to me, Lucy" aka Lucille Ball.

So what do I need "splain"-ing?

Saturday, I tweaked something in my lower ribcage, left back.  I made it thru my lunch with the Grand-dudes; the Jesus Christ Superstar production -- with a twinge or two; then came immediately home to the heating pad.  Ibuprofen would not touch it (the discomfort).  I slept o.k., woke feeling better on Sunday; only to have the pain return the longer I was awake and moving.  Note: if it sat still, no discomfort; if I moved symmetrically, no discomfort; any twisting, severe sensation.

Went to bed last night feeling not much better than the night before; hoping that this wouldn't sideline my efforts to get in shape for JF in Denver in a few weeks.

Up this morning, same discomfort.  Decided that a practice was in order, no matter what.  Found one on YogaGlo by Noah -- a level 1, 60 minutes.  Pushed and prodded myself out to the studio, onto my mat.  As is many times the case, when I am engaged and practicing, painful sensations subside. It happened again, with a couple exceptions - twists being one.

I did the whole practice, not going quite as deep into twists as he (Noah) might have liked, but I did give my lengthening full power (remember, symmetrical).  This practice culminated in Warrior I, which does involve a twisting action from the hips to shoulders (no problem).  Then a couple cool down poses, savasana.

After, I put a couple loads of laundry in the washer, made the bed, put clothes away -- then I noticed. What?  Very little discomfort in those ribs.  Oh, I feel them when I twist, but the overall feeling is so much better.

Hence, the 'splain it to me', someone.  I am convinced that movement with muscle engagement is key to helping injuries; but, I've been trying to move with engagement for the past 2 days and still having pain. Maybe it was the sequence.  Maybe it was movement for an hour, where before I'd been sitting until absolutely necessary to get up and do something. No matter, I'll take it -- give me more of this magic.

Hope you have a great Monday!

No comments: