Thursday, November 17, 2011

WHY GET CERTIFIED?

Sometimes I wonder, myself.  I heard the other day a teacher tell me that being Inspired was good enough, going through the process of Certification was not that person's 'cup of tea'.

I've heard that before and I trust that people know what's best for themselves.

However, let me point out a few of the benefits I've received from moving down the Certification path:

  1. Applying -- what better way to explain myself than by filling out a questionnaire that asks 'why do you want to be Certified?'  My answer?  something like 'I want to be among the best, the most well trained.' Not a bad goal, and true.  
  2. Acceptance -- when I received my acceptance notice; the one that told me I could continue down the path towards Certification, it was a joy-filled moment.  I knew, at that moment, that I was good enough.  Why/how?  Well, because others believed I could do it - I know that I should feel 'good enough' without others saying so, but it's still in my make-up to rely on other opinions.  I loved knowing that people thought of me as 'certifiable' and I savored that feeling for a long time (continue to savor it, even).  
  3. Written Test -- a true test of your organizational skills. How to accomplish a test in 10 days, rumored to take 30 hours to complete (I also had heard from a scientist-also-certified-Anusara-instructor that she felt like she was writing her dissertation all over again!?!?!?!).  I set up my space, I logged my time, I filled in all the answers, I mailed it off in time (on the 10th day), and I felt good.  What a great learning experience that was, all that review and -- I did it!
  4. Video -- or, better known as 'dreaded video'.  It took me a while, between my and my mentor's activities, but we finally got one in to the Certification Committee. A reviewer was assigned (Sarah Faircloth).  On moving day last Spring, I got the call regarding that assignment and a request to set up a one-hour conference call at a future date.  We did the call. I was nervous, but this is what I got:  
    1. A comprehensive breakdown of almost every minute of the class I had submitted. 
    2. Many good, helpful comments about my teaching.
    3. Many enhancements, for which Sarah offered clear guidance and a written homework assignment.
    4. Follow-through on my homework response, with more enhancements.
  5. On to Video #2 - similar experience.  Great and helpful comments, encouragement and kudos about the progress I made from video #1, a bit more homework.
  6. Now to Video #3 - preparation guided by homework; wait and see.  
Each step has provided me with learning -- about myself and this yoga I've chosen to teach. I have not regretted a moment; I have even enjoyed each part of the experience. That's not saying it's easy, just saying that it has been a continual enhancement of my skills as a teacher.  Worth every penny and each minute of work, effort and teaching.  
No regret; on to video #3 (hopefully, tomorrow).  
Enjoy your Thursday,