Thursday, December 8, 2011

Been A While

since I've written or even looked at this blog.  Seems life gets in the way of our routines once in a while.

My week was turned upside down with a phone call on Sunday telling me that my Dad had spiked a temp and was being given antibiotics.  This might not seem consequential, unless you're 89 years old.  That fact, plus the undertone of the caller's message, prompted me to make a plane reservation for Monday and fly to Spokane.

Upon arrival, I drove to the nursing home and was met by a site I had not encountered on previous visits -- Dad, in bed, with oxygen.  The report from nurses:  he had stopped eating earlier in the day, wouldn't talk (which he had been doing on previous days), was unresponsive.  I sat for a while with him, talking about anything and everything (nurses advice:  hearing is the last thing to go).   I left for a while, but was called back when breathing became erratic.  This calmed, and we were into Tuesday.

All this to say that my Father passed on December 6, 2011, 5:15 p.m.

All in all, he was a good Father; a bit stern and unemotional at times, but generous.  One memory:  I wrecked the family car at age 16 (hit a parked car -- how embarrassing). That resulted in my babysitting and allowance monies being garnished (as in, seized) until the repair was paid for.  Upon Dad's departure for Vietnam (I was 17), he handed me the money, told me the debt was taken care of.  Raised on the heels of the depression, his way of handling emotion was with money -- the better he felt about you and/or the situation, the money flowed.  Interesting and challenging.

He had 89 years; the last 2 were not his happiest, but he was comfortable and well taken care of.  I thank my cousin for sharing in his care, during his life and at the end.

So, life goes on.  I spent the day with the Grand-Dudes yesterday (3 little boys = much work and patience).  Today, back to teaching in Carlsbad and Temecula.

Hope you are having a great week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Never easy to let them go.
Big hugs from Montana.
Bonnie