Thursday, January 26, 2012

GOOD MORNING !!!

I must admit there are not many mornings that I wake up, go through my routine, sit down to the computer and see this:  A compliment, out of the blue, from a former student.

I'll take it, I need it, I want it.  Thank you to the writer for taking the time to put your thoughts into typewritten form and send them to me.  I appreciate it, more than you'll ever know.

Which brings up a thought I've been harboring for a few weeks.  The affect my actions (or lack thereof) have on other people.  Especially as a yoga teacher, as I stand in front of a room of people, spouting my words of wisdom and instructions.  Are they listening? Or, does it go in one ear and out the other.

I remember one student who arrived in my class after a significant surgery.  She was in her 60's, a bit out of shape, yet wanting to work -- wanting to 'un-congeal' a bit.  Because the surgery happened in her ribcage, I watched her as I instructed students to take arms overhead, clasp their hands and bend to one side and then the other. The grimace on her face worried me; it was so expressive it made me think the pose was causing pain.  So, I asked her, 'is something hurting?'.  She answered 'no, I'm just thinking'.  Whew! I was relieved I wasn't causing her pain.

However, I also learned a lesson -- you can not tell what a person is thinking from their facial expressions.  They may sit in my class, expressionless or with an expression like I described above, yet they may still be hearing my message, my instructions. And, for some (maybe many) these thoughts, comments, jokes, instructions, information, etc., are sinking in and are affecting their lives as they go forward, off their mats and into their lives.

Here's the quote from which I created the 'un-congeal' comment:  (if I've shared it before, please bear with me -- as one who was almost congealed when yoga 'happened', it says a ton):

"There are two kinds of people...One kind you can just tell by looking at them at what point they congealed into their final selves. It might be a very nice self, but you know you can expect no more surprises from it. Whereas, the other kind keep moving, changing...They are fluid, moving forward...making new trysts with life, and the motion of it keeps them young. In my opinion they are the only people who are still alive. You must be constantly on your guard, Justin, against congealing."    — Gail Godwin, "The Finishing School"

Hope you have a great Thursday!

And, thank you, again, to the writer who started my morning off in a grand fashion!  You know who you are and I always appreciated that I could see my teaching reflected in your eyes.  Good stuff!

1 comment:

Karen Sprute Francovich said...

I love this - love your writing - love the quote. Thanks Leslie!