Wednesday, January 18, 2012

UP EARLY & EXCITED - ABOUT TODAY & YESTERDAY

First, about today -- in about 2 hours, I'll be ready and in my car on the way into Encinitas for the kick-off of "IGNITING THE CENTER"; Anusara's theme and John Friend's tour name for 2012.  It will be a 4-hour practice with John on each day -- today, tomorrow and Friday, all mixed level so everyone can participate.  Promises to be fun.

I will be able to participate today, then off to Spokane tomorrow for my Dad's memorial on Friday. I'll be sad to miss those two days, but there are so many people hoping to attend that it's o.k. that I'm just able to participate in the first day -- and, to think, I participated in purnahuti (the finish) of 2011 with John and now the first of 2012 -- auspicious, I think - don't you?

And, about yesterday:  It was one of those days when privates and semi-privates were the norm -- meaning, in each of my classes I had either one or two students.  Not setting the world on fire, attendance-wise, but - in each case - the teaching was fun, inspiring and helpful (for me and attendees).

First class of the day was attended by a fellow yoga instructor. She has appeared in my class several times over the last month, and I enjoy her personality and presence very much. (Not to mention, she pays me nice compliments about my teaching.) Her practice is beautiful and she will be attending Thursday's practice with John (her first exposure to him).  This was an opportunity to offer her some refinements that I believe he will be looking for -- kind of a head start, you'd say (things like -- width of the hands on the mat, what to do with arms in uttanasana, not moving fingers, like that). Her primary practice has not been Anusara, but she is intrigued by it all.  Then I offered her some suggestions from Doug Keller's recent webinar that will be helpful with an old pelvic injury.  Good stuff.

From there (Carlsbad), it was off to Temecula.  My first class (Therapeutic/Gentle), was almost a non-event; meaning that, at 2:15, no one had arrived. As I was helping in the studio, two women arrived at 2:16 hoping to take the "2:30 class".  Well, they had the time a bit off, but we all decided a one-hour class would work and it was off to work we went.  One struggles with knee pain, back pain and the residual effects of breast cancer surgery 4+ years ago. The other's major issue is osteoarthritis in both knees, so bad that going to the floor is a non-option.  We used chairs, did some standing poses and balance work, used the wall, then back to the chairs, and finished with a seated meditation.  As new students, I let them rest into the chair back during this short meditation -- just too much to ask new, compromised students to sit up straight without the support.  I used much of the knowledge I've gained over the years through many therapeutic trainings, plus was - once again - thankful for that Doug Keller webinar.

Between this class and the next, I spoke at length with two 50-year-old women (who stopped by the studio) about what / which yoga would be best for them.  One struggles with fibromyalgia and a bad hip (or SI joint?), the other with both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis plus back & neck surgery (rods, etc.).  I mention this, because I think it is amazing there are so many people struggling with issues who want to do yoga.  They just need to find the right class, not get discouraged, and not get hurt.

Prenatal turned into another private session.  Good for me and good for her.  The student is 20 weeks into her pregnancy and arrived complaining of a sore back.  A beautiful young woman, she has neglected her posture -- hyper-extended knees, kyphosis, and the beginnings of a pretty good neck thrust.  All this because she is tall and during high school, she wanted to be short like the other girls, so she slouched.  Now, she wants to change it.  No better time than the present, and it will be easier now than later.  We worked the usual shoulder blade stuff, which did not make her happy. Then I remembered "lift your heart" -- I offered her that instruction and 'voila!', a taller, more relaxed person stood in front of me.

Then I really took a look at her knees -- since much of posture and alignment issues begin below the hips. The hyperextension was causing a large bulge behind one knee (which is a hallmark of locked knees), tho she was not having any discomfort and had never noticed it herself.  I stood her on a rolled blanket (heels on floor, top of the foot - from arch forward - on the roll), asked her to soften her knees yet lift and spread toes, creating muscular energy through the legs. Another voila!, as that bulging tissue was 'sucked' back into it's home. We did some movement from this place, talked about the value of NOT locking knees, talked about effective stretching. I believe there were many 'Ah-Ha' moments for her in this private. Moments that might not have happened in a roomful of students.  More good stuff.

So, you see, it doesn't take much to get me excited -- a few bad knees, a bad hip here and there, poor posture.  Oh, and practicing with John Friend.  It will be a great day!

I hope yours is the same -- GREAT!

No comments: