Sunday, March 25, 2012

NERVOUS; ME ?!?!?!?

I taught yesterday, the Saturday 10am Basics-Int. class at Living Yoga in Temecula.  Unlike many studios, the weekend morning classes (with a Sunday a.m. exception) are rotated among instructors.  Rather than have one instructor assigned to each class, we are asked to sign up each month to teach the next month's classes.  Interesting, and different from scheduling at many studios.

I am one of the less-senior instructors at the studio (meaning less time teaching there; not younger), therefore I get the opportunity to teach a weekend class less often -- it's a seniority thing.  But, I was able to sign up to teach yesterday morning's class.

And, why was I nervous?  I suppose it's because I rarely teach a large group like this promised to be, and the majority of my classes are Gentle or Therapeutic.  Knowing that I would be standing in front of a group of students who are in class for the movement, not for help with inhibiting physical issues, was the source of this nervousness.  It's been a while, and I wondered over and over what would I teach them?  Fortunately, all class plans for the past 2 years are saved on this computer and I was able to go back through them and come up with an idea or two.

I decided to use a theme of 'balance' -- my nervousness reflected a lack of balance in my teaching. Additionally, the system of teacher/class assignment at this studio offers students another type of balance.  That of balance in experiencing different teaching styles -- rather than always attend the 'powerful' or 'fun' or 'inspiring' or 'flowing' (etc., etc, etc.), they are being asked to experience all of us. To experience the balance of different styles.  (FYI, I labeled mine 'nit-picky'.)

Where did we go from there?  Well, we 'balanced' our inner and outer spiral, created length, and moved towards a modified version of Hanumanasana. Modified how?  Placing mats at the wall, setting up with back foot against the molding and carefully extending the front foot into the room.  With blocks to support the hamstrings of the front leg, several had a 'ta-da' moment -- lifting their arms in celebration while in the pose.

That was fun, but the best part for me was listening to the balance and harmony in their voices as we chanted at the beginning of class. So good.

I'm hopeful they enjoyed the class; at the very least, they now know what/where their psoas muscle is (how many times do you mention psoas without explaining what/where it is?)  I'm learning many students hear it over and over, but rarely get the opportunity to ask -- I guess my presence offered them the chance to ask. FYI, I never assume that a room of students knows the meaning of all the words I use -- my lesson came from a 80+ year old student who once asked me where her 'abs' were.

So, today?  Planning to go in to spend time with the Grand-Dudes, assuming everyone is healthy.

Hope you have a nice Sunday,

No comments: