Tuesday, March 27, 2012

WHY I VOLUNTEER

I spend one hour each week teaching a class at the local library here in Fallbrook.  This is a free class -- for students and for me.  No money changes hands.  I am on the library schedule, they provide 10 mats for those students who don't have one, and they provide a beautiful, large space in which I teach the class.

As I began this class yesterday, I explained to students that the class began last September (the first yoga class the library had offered), and - for several weeks - I routinely had 4 students (all of whom are still with me).  This number gradually increased until, yesterday, there were 19 in the room.  This has been the case for the past several months; consistently, an average of 18-22 attend.  I love that - a big class, yet I often will demean it with the caveat that "it's free, so that explains the large number".

However, yesterday I heard many comments from students before, during and after class.  Comments that explained their presence. Comments like:  I explain what they are doing, I give them time to get into and out of poses, I don't create an 'exercise' session out of their yoga class, I don't leave them feeling they can't do the poses I am asking them to move into. One even told me she was a bit 'giddy' at home earlier in the day as she anticipated coming to class because it's fun!

FYI, this group is a mixed bag, to say the least.  Ages range from about 30 to 70 (guessing here). In the room I have students with physical limitations, chronic health issues, beginning students, out-of-shape students, students who may have done yoga 10-15-20 years ago and are returning to the practice.  I even have very experienced students.  You name it, it could be in the room.  My kind of teaching!

I write about the class this morning because I had one particularly poignant comment made to me after class.  It was from a woman struggling with MS.  She uses a cane due to poor balance, weakness and spasticity in her legs.  This comment, added to the others, makes my volunteer effort so meaningful.

During class, I suggested we do a couple partner poses.  For this woman, partner poses strike fear -- she feared that her limitations would wreck the experience of her partner, or that she would embarrass herself.  Surprisingly, for her, the partner was helpful and understanding. She was even more surprised when another student stepped in to offer his help as she struggled to maintain her balance.

So, what was her comment?  "The other students were so helpful, I couldn't believe it; they were so helpful and so nice.  I worried when you said 'partner poses', but my partners were so helpful.  I just can't believe it; they were so nice."

Wow!  To be able to teach a class where everyone feels accepted and comfortable is a BIG deal. One not to be demeaned in any way by me.  I am grateful, and I know that they are there for a reason -- perhaps it's not just me, but I do contribute to their experience.  I'll take credit for that.

Today?  Teaching Therapeutic/Gentle Yoga and Prenatal Yoga in Temecula this afternoon.

Hope you have a great Tuesday!

No comments: