Saturday, April 14, 2012

FACIAL EXPRESSIONS - ALMOST PRICELESS

"ALMOST" -- because in many cases they aren't worth a darn!  The problem with them is that I allow myself to look at the expression, read into it whatever insecurity I'm feeling, and live with that.  That is, until the person whose face I'm looking at tells me what's going on.

What am I talking about?  I teach 5 classes each week.  In each of those classes, I can quickly point out the people who I wonder about.  You know, the stoic ones, or the ones grimacing, or the ones who are not quick to laugh at my jokes.  I immediately jump to "they're not happy with me" or "I'm not teaching them what they came to class for" -- always, without fail.

Last week, however, I got a wonderful surprise.  Behind the features - whatever they might be - lies a wealth of information waiting to come out.  Here's an example:

One student, very fit, but because of a traumatic injury attends Gentle Yoga; and, she was very quiet for the first few weeks.  You got it -- I'm feeling insecure.  Then, at the end of class last week, the comment:  "you know, since I've been using my hands in the way you're teaching, my issue with carpal tunnel has decreased."  Whoaaa!  Be still my heart.

Then -- same student -- a week later:  "the circumference of my injured leg is increasing due to the work in these yoga classes".  Another 'whoaa' moment.

And, from another quiet student, the comment:  "your pace is perfect, the sequence great; I work harder in your gentle class than in some basic classes".

All this to say that I must not look at students and read something into their facial expressions -- it just will not be accurate.  I thought I had learned this a few years ago, when I asked a grimacing student if something was hurting.  Her response "no, I'm just thinking".

Just like I will never know the full extent of a student's history, I cannot trust facial expressions.  They will deceive me every time.  Even the smiling, seemingly attentive student might be thinking "this class can't end soon enough!"

Hope you have a great Saturday!

No comments: