Monday, April 16, 2012

ON MUSIC IN MY YOGA CLASSES

I do not play music when teaching my yoga classes.  Oh, confession -- there was a time when I put on a Deva Premal song during savasana; but, since moving to So. Calif., music has been non-existant in my classes.

This isn't because I don't like music; I do.  It's because it's not part of my teaching 'vocabulary'.

Having attended classes where music is a big part, I know that I can get involved in the music; more involved in the music than I am in listening to what the instructor has to say.  I find myself tapping to the tune, rather than focusing on my yoga.  Perhaps that's the reason I've chosen to (consciously or unconsciously) leave it out of my 'vocabulary'.

I hadn't thought much about it, until after one of my classes last week.  As we finished up, one of the students commented "I didn't even notice that you weren't playing any music, until class was over; and I didn't miss it."

It is challenging for me to plan a class, to keep everyone doing what they need to be doing to stay safe.  Add to that, creating a playlist of music and, for me, that's overload -- more than I need or want to be doing as I plan a class.

That's just my 'thing'.  I won't walk out of a class I'm attending with music, but you won't hear any in mine.

Today?  Library class - curious to see how a recent publicity 'plug' will affect attendance.

Hope you have a great Monday!

No comments: