Thursday, May 17, 2012

WW #5

Wow! yesterday (Wednesday) was the fifth installment of Wisdom Warriors, the practice I've written about each week.  It's become a habit for me to write about it in this blog, so here goes:

Major change this week:  Geri leads the practice, as Desiree is traveling. What to expect? Not sure. I have attended Geri's classes (even a practice), but not as regularly as I'd like. I do know this: It will be challenging with a different flavor.  

Different flavors are good. I wish many yoga students would try different flavors. Why? So much to learn, an opportunity to create a flexibility of the mind. What do I mean by that? Well, if you are a yoga teacher and you fill in for someone's regular class, you may have seen students move to the next pose in a series - as if on automatic pilot. I know that if I study and practice with just one or two instructors, I fall into their rhythm. I know what to expect, I move without really thinking or listening. Change it up a bit, and I have to listen more carefully; I also have to wait to see what the new or different instructor will ask me to do. No anticipating the movement. I also am sure to pick up a few tidbits of information if I listen closely.

That was the case yesterday. Geri is a different teacher. I'd sum it up as she injects a calm, efficient, knowing energy into a room. One that says, 'you can do it, let's try' in a voice that is all of the above (no hype, no perky, no super enthusiastic); then, if you still refuse, she immediately moves into reassuring mode, even offering a compliment on the way you did a previous move. Nice.  

I'm thinking here of the instructor that says 'you can do it! just step back, jump, and fly!'  When you read the previous sentence, make sure you add a lot of emphasis to the bolded words, raise your voice a few decibels, and get VERY enthusiastic.  To a student like me, I respond 'right'. I know myself. I know I won't fly (yet). I want it broken down, explained, offered to me so that I can visualize where I am 'flying' to and how I am going to get my body there, as well as my mind. 

As I've been writing, I've been trying to come up with a good simple descriptive for the two teachers (Geri and Desiree).  Contrary compliments is one that comes to mind. They are not alike. And neither is trying to teach like the other. They have their own voice. Each has a unique wisdom. It is a great balance.

We, the Wisdom Warriors, are very lucky students!

Oh, and one more note about WW:  Geri began our class with a quote from one of FDR's speeches (and, which has been modified by Brene Brown to a book title): 'the only thing we have to fear is fear itself' and applied it to our efforts as 50+ year olds doing things many would never dream of. I immediately related to her comments that, at this age, we move into a knowing and a confidence that allows us to do the challenging without fear of failure.  So, I am listening, I am inspired; I am also listening to a voice in my head reciting the verse of a song "If I Were Brave", by the 4 Bitchin' Babes.  If you get a chance check it out. You'll understand.

Today?  Watch out 4pm class; I come prepared with a few new tricks, thanks to Geri.  


No comments: