Tuesday, May 15, 2012

PRACTICING AND TEACHING

Since last week's post, I've been practicing a 'few' jumps (perhaps not as many as Des would like).  Just hard to get out of the habit of stepping and harder to jump, fall short, and feel good about it.  And, much of my practice is done for my own 'feeling good'.

I did teach several of the things we practiced at last Thursday's class.  Fortunately (or unfortunately), there were just two in class -- but two dedicated and striving students.  Good subjects for the topics I hoped to teach.  I included the chair stuff, urdhva dhanurasana, pincha mayurasana, along with some general alignment enhancements (don't lock knees, weight all 4 corners of feet, like that).  Smiling students left the room.  I overhead them walking down the hall, "boy, that was like a private lesson". I think it was a private; semi-private, at least!  I loved it.

In fact, I saw one in the Sunday class I taught.  The report from this very accomplished student:  Pincha is her 'nemesis' pose; it has always eluded her.  Well, after working on it Thursday, she was asked to do it again in a class Saturday.  Kicked up the first time. She gave me credit and I don't want to take credit for that (well, yes, I do); I'm sure the practice - doing it again and again - had a lot to do with her success.  Now, that's good stuff.

Speaking of the Sunday class, I filled in for a teacher who went to visit her Mother.  Weekends are fun, because we can count having more students than our weekday classes draw (especially when your weekday classes begin at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 4:30pm -- not exactly the crowd-pleasing times). Mother's Day was questionable, tho. I wished I had realized the day/holiday connection 2 weeks before and I might have asked to offer a 'special'. No matter, I still had 7 students.

After the class, the usual thank you's, the comment from my Thursday student (see para 3), and a comment from a student who thanked me for the 'wealth of anatomical information'.  I must admit that I do not ascribe to the concept of 'don't answer the question that hasn't been asked'. Oh, I don't let everything out, but I probably am more verbose that many instructors especially when the workings of the body are involved.  Why tell people to stand with feet parallel without telling them why?  Why tell people not to let their knee travel in front of their ankle without telling them why? These two examples of really significant postural alignment will help to save their knees and hips. Why skip telling students this stuff?

Maybe it's because some students just want to come to class and 'lose themselves' in the music and movement.  That's fine; but, if they come to my classes -- they'll get movement with a purpose and no music. Tough love.

Teaching 2 classes today. Hope you have a great Tuesday!

No comments: