Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A NEW EXPERIENCE -- 'MELT'-ing

Sunday, I accepted an invitation to attend a short workshop titled "Introduction to the MELT Method".  Curious about this method - which I had heard of with increasing frequency - I accepted, submitted my registration, and made the drive in to Del Mar to participate.

So, what is MELT?  Myofascial Energetic Lengthening Technique.  Developed by a fitness trainer, massage therapist and Rolfer, it is a method to massage, lubricate thru manipulation, and lengthen the layer of tissue that lies beneath our skin and surrounds muscles and organs.  That layer that basically supports and holds us together - the fascia.

The workshop I attended dealt with MELT for the hands and feet -- which, it was explained, will help with many areas of the body.  We were given 3 small balls of varying size and density.  First, we did an assessment - some balance work, and then the MELT-ing began.  We started with the larger, soft ball, rolling it under and pressing it into points on one foot (this process was repeated on the other foot and then on the hands). Note, this is done in a particular order, according to how our fascia flows.  We moved to the tiny, very hard ball, and did some similar movements.  Then the more dense larger ball came into action.  We moved this differently - gliding and rinsing the soles of our feet in a specific order and direction. My experience?  The first two balls were fine, interesting; the 3rd, a bit uncomfortable -- which is a sign of tightness, dehydration, etc. -- especially, the 'rinsing' (rolling the ball from the base of each toe to the heel with equal, firm pressure).

Ahhh, learning new stuff is fun.  It's also a challenge to step out of our 'box', our comfort zone.  Experience something new and keep an open mind.

Once we had completed both feet, we did the same balance work to re-assess (and, perhaps, see the results of our work).  Interesting that the balance was better; I felt more grounded; and my feet certainly felt more open and spacious.

On to the hands.  Similar work.  Assess; use the balls; re-assess.  Not quite as dramatic, but my hands did feel more spacious and stronger when finished.

This morning?  Going to MELT (I did buy a set of the balls). Then practice.  I'll teach my Therapeutic class at 2pm, followed by Prenatal.  Excited that in just 2 weeks, I'll participate in another workshop -- this one, with Jessica Jennings on teaching prenatal yoga.  My prenatal teaching will benefit from this refresher.

Hope you have a great Tuesday!

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

wow that sounds amazing! im in massage school right now and i am loving the myofasical stuff.