Saturday, June 16, 2012

PRENATAL YOGA

Earlier this year, the studio where I teach the bulk of my classes asked if I would take on one prenatal class.  I'd never formally taught such a class (had subbed, tho), and decided to give it a try -- and, I was flattered to be asked.

Now, 4 months into this experience, I finally am taking a workshop training with Jessica Jennings, founder of MaYoga. Oh, I've bought videos, books, read what I can, but - boy - is it weak out there. I decided that if this is to continue, I better find someone well-respected and really get some study under my belt. I learned the do's and don't's of teaching prenatal yoga in my trainings, but soon discovered that's not really enough. Since beginning the class, I'm getting more comfortable, but still feel I need more 'connection' to these students (or, I need to decide that prenatal yoga teaching is not my cup of tea).

When students arrive at the studio for the first time, they are often surprised to see me (as their instructor). Not that I look that old, but I do not fit the stereotypical image of a yoga instructor -- I'm a grandmother, after all.  I have been standing at the desk and, when told I am the instructor, some have been heard to say 'oh, you're the teacher?'.  How would that make you feel?

So, I need to get them past that desk, into the room and give them the best prenatal class they've ever had (or, I need to give it up).  Simple as that.

The training began with Jessica last night, and will continue through today and part of Sunday.  We went through introductions (there are about 14 of us). Then took a short break, and moved a bit -- in the prenatal way.

What have I noticed?

  • Verbiage is more 'baby-centered' than I've been offering
  • She works students pretty hard; harder than I've been doing
  • Some interesting transitions from downdog to a modified cobra back to down dog and then to uttanasana.  
There's more, but these were my initial impressions.  More will come out today and tomorrow.  

So, got to sign off and go do some work.  Hope you have a great Saturday!


No comments: