Wednesday, July 11, 2012

THERAPEUTIC YOGA CLASSES

Each week, I teach 2 classes called "Therapeutic / Gentle Yoga".  I was driving up to Temecula last week to the most recently added class, and thinking "I need to define this class. Like, what do I hope to accomplish? What do students want/need to receive from the class."

I have spent the following 7 days worrying about this -- a goal for my Therapeutic classes, a definition of the class purpose/mission.

After yesterday's class, I've adjusted my thinking a bit.  This class is only definable to a point -- that being, that it is a class for students who are injured, hurting for some reason, out of shape, need a rest. Simple.

How did I arrive at this conclusion so quickly, after worrying about it for 6 days? Yesterday's class composition offered me the answer.  It went like this:

   Regular attendee:  Myofascial tightening, pain throughout body
   Regular attendee:  MS
   Regular attendee:  Old knee injuries/surgery
   Regular attendee:  Plantar Fasciitis & heel spur
   Regular attendee:  Struggling with sore knees, a bit out of shape
   Not-so-regular attendee (at least to this class): Sore right hip

How do you / can you define what each of these people need, and then work towards it?  And, does any of this fit into any 'general' definable mold?

Last week, I commented in class that each student comes in with an expectation, a hoped-for goal for this yoga experience. Likewise, when I work with people, I set some individual goals for each of them. For example, in last week's class, an older student arrived who is struggling to regain and retain her active lifestyle after a rough winter of illness. What would my goal be for her? Since it was her first class with me, I set a 'draft' goal of strengthening her back and back-of-the-neck muscles, so that her rounded shoulders and forward-thrusting neck become a part of her history. That may change as I get to know her.

I find I do this with each of these students -- after working with them for a while in the class setting, I have goals for them which may stretch them a bit; take them a bit beyond their comfort zone. This has been the way I've been doing it; thinking about it, just made me realize my worry about a plan/goal/definition for this class was un-needed.  I show up, they show up, and - together - we move forward.

Each student needs/wants something different from the class; however, the overriding goal for each, I've discovered (and known), is that they want to leave feeling better than when they arrived, and - perhaps - with some ideas of things to work on that may help their 'stuff'.

I believe I've commented before that these classes grow slowly (like 3 students for a year, then a jump, then plateau, then - hopefully - another jump).  A recent 'jump' makes me believe that students are getting something of what they need from these classes.

Today?  Excited for Wisdom Warriors with Desiree at 1pm!

Hope you have a great Wednesday!

No comments: